An Art Journal Entry and 2 Applications

What a blessed day!  I started by working on an art journal entry for Word Art Wednesday Challenge #25 which features the Bible verse from Hebrews 13:15, using the Play Date Cafe PDCC129 suggested colors of dusk, magenta and seedling.  One thing led to another, and I ended up making a card for Case Study Challenge #88 and another one for Unscripted Sketches #156, both of them featuring my original art journal entry.  Sometimes everything works.  I am glad today was one of those days!


My art journal has a weathered ledger print on it, which worked perfectly with PDCC129, since seedling is a greenish/yellowish color.  I began by lightly writing the text in pencil, erasing and rewriting as needed, until I had a layout I was pleased with.  I proceed to sketch out my illuminated letters in pencil. Next, I inked all the text with a gray #87 Staedtler Mars watercolor brush marker.  In addition, I outlined the illuminated letters with a black Sakura Micron pen.  I colored in the grapes with a magenta Bienfang watercolor brush pen.  I colored the leaves with the wet tips of olive green and goldenrod Prismacolor watercolor pencils, to get a shade of the seedling color.  To enhance the background, I used a magenta pastel, a goldenrod pastel, and my finger to shade it.  I used an eraser to highlight some areas that I felt had been overdone.


The Case Study Challenge Blog inspirational piece for this week features the last card by Laurie Schmidlin for the month of April.  As soon as I saw it, I knew exactly what I wanted to do!  So that I could use my journal page, I scanned it, edit it on iPhoto, and printed a reduced version of it.  I used a seedling color card base by DCWV.  Then, I made a mat from a magenta print from a K&Company Handmade specialty pad, and rounded the corners.  I cut a piece of lace edged seedling colored cross-stitch fabric ribbon and taped it down as shown.  I used foam dots to adhere my journal page print, and clipped a miniature clothespin on the side.  As a finishing touch, I layered a magenta flower, dusk lace print flower, and a goldenrod button.  I also used a Martha Stewart punch to make a goldenrod butterfly, which I accented with Tim Holtz stickles.


For my Unscripted Sketches card submission, I took their advice and used their sketch for the basis of my creation. Therefore, it is not a literal interpretation.  I used the same kind of card base as my previous card and substituted the TITLE with a layered strip of printed papers from the same K&Company pad.  Then, I used another print of my journal page for the larger block.  Instead of the 3 small rectangular blocks, I used another butterfly punch and 2 flowers from a K&Company handmade die-cut cardstock set.    I accented the flowers with Tim Holtz stickles.  (I want to thank my blogging friend Patricia, at "The Old Back Porch," for recommending this blog challenge.)




I really enjoyed exploring applications for my art journal page, and basically creating a mini-series.  I hope you enjoy them as well, and feel led to leave a comment.  I would also love to increase my number of followers, so don't be shy!  By the way, be sure and visit Paperie Designs Studio Fascinating Fridays, where Noor Nahdi is featuring an interview conducted by Tania Nelson of me.  I think she did an awesome job!  You'll certainly learn more about me than what I feature in my profile.  Blessings!

Comments

Maureen said…
wow! What a cool process! Sounds like you had a lot of fun and the inspiration just kept flowing! Thanks for playing with us over on CASE Study :)
Arnoldo: I just love to hear and see your process. This is just amazing, and I appreciate you sharing it with us at Word Art Wednesday. Your love for the Lord shines through your work. Thanks for blessing me with it!
Karen L
Word Art Wednesday
Patrice said…
Love your art journal piece - it reminds me of the old illustrations the monks used to do. Thank you for sharing it with Unscripted Sketches!
SmilynStef said…
So very glad you joined us at Unscripted Sketches ... and I love how you used your art journal as a jumping point for your beautiful cards ... the butterfly and flowers are the perfect embellishments.
StephC said…
These are very nice! I love the details put into both of them. Great take of the US sketch. So glad you joined us for this weeks challenge!

Greetings from Dallas!
Steph
Cheryl said…
How beautiful! I love that you do your own sketches. Without stamps, I'd be lost--I'm a colorer, not a drawer! ;) Thank you for the lovely comment on my blog.
Arnoldo, I am enamored of those gorgeous letters! All of the calligraphy is beautiful, but the "S" and the "P" really shine. :)

So glad you joined us at The PLay Date CAfe this week. :)
Borqna said…
Beautiful!
May the bounty of the season
be with you all through the year!
Debby said…
Amazing Arnoldo! From the art journal to the cards inspired from it and finally to your write up! Thanks for joining us at CASE study this week :)
Borqna said…
Hello! I am again. I'd like to give you this - a list of challenges and winners. Useful information.
http://felineplayful.blogspot.com/
Good luck!
Jennifer said…
Thank you so much for sharing your creative process with us! Love your art! Thank you for sharing with us at Word Art Wednesday!
Didre said…
przepięknie kaligrafowane litery! podziwiam Twój talent!! bardzo lubię tu przychodzić, pozdrawiam :)
Geri said…
Fabulous creations! Your journallying is beautiful! Such talent! So glad that you chose to share it with us this week at Unscripted Sketches :)
Laura said…
Just a beautiful card...
Thanks for joining us at Unscripted Sketches.
Tracey said…
Great use of the sketch and really liked how you used your art journal to get you started. Thanks for playing along at Unscripted Sketches.
First I would like to thank you for your kind words on my scrapbook layout, they are very appreciated. This piece you have created is such a blessing. I love that you scanned your amazing journal art to include on the card!! The time, talent, and work that went into creating your journal piece is so evident. Giving glory to our Lord is something I try to do as well. I am a new follower and invite you to follow me if you enjoy my work. ~ Blessings

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/
Just lovely, a work of art for sure!!
Jinny Newlin said…
Way to rock the color story! WOW! So many fabulous projects... I couldn't possibly pick a fave! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at The Play Date Cafe!
Renee said…
You are a true artist! Thank you for sharing your work and also for the kind comment you left on my blog.
scrapbaby! said…
A great use of the sketch! You can tell how much work you put into this card. Thank you for joining us at Unscripted Sketches! :)
Hi again,
You are a random prize winner at CASE Study this week. I don't see your email anywhere and the sponsor can't contact you. Could you send an email to Kim at sponsorship.mcc@gmail.com, regarding your prize? Thanks!
Jean Martin said…
WOW! These are great! Love the rich colors. Beautiful layering. Thanks for playing with us this week at CASE Study Challenge! :)
dstandard said…
Beautiful cards! Thanks for playing at Unscripted sketches!
Stephanie said…
gorgeous cards...love all the details!
thanks for joining us at Unscripted Sketches!
Teresa Zuehls said…
Beautiful cards! The first card is my favorite. I love the colors and your art journal page is stunning! Great take on the Unscripted sketch. I love that you replaced the three smaller rectangles with the flowers and butterfly. I always admire artists because you can draw whatever you want as for me I have to rely on stamps. Thank goodness for all the gorgeous stamps. I would be lost without them :)