Vintage Art Journal

I have kept art journals continuously for about 14 years now, and use them to explore feelings, ideas, and techniques.  The artwork varies from lettering, to simple sketches, to mixed media collage pieces.  Except for oils, I've used almost every other kind of media in my art journals.  They've been a great place to try out new tools as well.  Some of my best pieces have stemmed from my art journals.

This week, the Card Positioning Systems, sponsored by Sharp Crochet Hook, is challenging their readers to use sketch CPS 260 in a design.  The first thing I thought of when I saw the sketch was the Halloween/Birthday Card I designed for my youngest daughter last October.  You'll notice that both the cover and the inside pocket I designed are identical to this week's CPS sketch.  Ironic, isn't it?

I also noticed that the Case Study is featuring Challenge 86. which features Muse Laurie Schmidlin with a vintage piece.  It is a very feminine and romantic piece.  Although I have been called a romantic, sometimes I just don't feel it.  Therefore, it inspired me to create the opposite, a more masculine and pragmatic piece.  However, the coloring is similar, and I do have a rose peeking from the back corner - LOL!


Anyway, I purchased a K&Company journal kit by Brenda Walton on clearance a couple of months ago.  I love botanicals, but this journal was too feminine and romantic.  Since I like to personalize my art journals sometimes, I figured I could do a collage over the cover.  When I saw the CPS sketch and then the Case Study challenge, I decided this was the perfect opportunity to transform my journal.  Just like with my card, I decided to make a pocket from the horizontal plain in which I could carry basic supplies.  I used a scrap piece of burlap I had from a project I worked on several years ago.  I trimmed the pocket to size and taped it down with some Provo Craft "terrifically tacky tape."  The other materials I used were as follows:
  • Bingo card - K&Company Handmade die-cut cardstock set
  • Canvas trim, stamp clip and label holder - Making Memories vintage findings kit
  • Small brass bell - Art-C ATC kit
  • Embroidered arrows fabric stamp - Unknown source
  • The Science Place, Dallas, Texas, skull pressed penny (I got it when I took my girls there several years ago.)
  • Brass name plate with my name from an old Day-Timer I had years ago
This Week's Sketch (#260)


This was a fun project to work on, as well as a practical one, since I know I'll use my art journal for a while.  Because of 3 of the items I used qualify, I thought about entering this project into the Stampendous "Recycle, Repurpose, Reuse" challenge, but I already entered 2 other projects.  They may kick me out - LOL!  It really motivates me to hear from my readers, so please follow me and/or leave a comment.  Blessings!

Comments

Laura Williams said…
very cool! i have often created a card or project and then realize it totally fits a different sketch! such a happy accident!
thanks for joining us at CPS! :)
Arnoldo said…
Thank you, Laura. I know exactly what you mean. Like they say, great minds think alike. Have a great weekend. Blessings!
Patrice said…
Fabulous project! I hope you'll link up again at 52 Card Pickup this week...http://www.oldbackporch.com/2012/04/52-card-pickup-week-15.html
Teresa Zuehls said…
Both pieces are fabulous artwork. TFS!
Arnoldo said…
Thanks, Patrice. I'll link it. Blessings!
Arnoldo said…
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, Teresa.
Linda Beeson said…
Wow that is nice! So many great details and nice use of the CPS sketch too.
Maureen said…
so many treasure on this :) THanks for playing with us over on CASE Study this week :) Your art has touched my heart :)
Arnoldo said…
Thank you, Maureen.
Christina said…
What a fantastic mix of elements for your journal cover. I love the idea of a pocket right on the front, especially in that fantastic burlap material. So glad you shared this with us at CASE Study!
Arnoldo said…
Thank you, Christina. It was really a fun project. Blessings!
Aimes said…
What a fab cover (I love the peeking rose!)
Thanks for joining us on CASE Study this week :)
x
Arnoldo said…
Thank you, Aimes.
Arnoldo said…
Thank you, Linda.
Absolutely fabulous!! Everyone would love a notebook like yours.... Thank you for playing the CASE Study this week. xxx