April Showers Brought May Flowers

April showers brought May flowers to my garden, as well as into my art journal.  For this post, I designed two cards in which I incorporated my new art journal page, which was inspired by Word Art Wednesday Challenge #28 and the Collage Obsession - Tulips challenge.  Although it took me a while to get the artwork done due to one of the most hectic weeks ever, it was a blessing to get it done.


For this art journal page, I cut out tulips and foliage shapes out of hand decorated paper leftovers that I had from a collage project I did several years ago.  The paper was decorated by pasting down various pieces of ephemera, stamping, and painting over everything with acrylic paints.  Jane Davies explains the process in more detail in one of her books.  I layered my tulip bouquet over a vintage primer image from an Anna Corba clip art book.  I used a K&Company Smash blank sheet to write the Bible verse in 2 Timothy 1:7 with a red Sharpie pen.  I tore it into 3 parts for drama.  As a finishing touch, I doted some areas around the perimeter of the page.


My first card was inspired by Case Study Challenge #91, which features a spring card by Agnieszka Malyszek.  The card has a tag with butterflies and lace, over a wood grain stamped background.  Therefore, I decided to scan, print and cut my art journal page into a tag.  I made a paper lace trim using Martha Stewart's Rings border punch and a strip from a Fiskars cinnamon stick mat stack.  I glued it to the bottom of the tag.  I used raffia to enhance the lace trim and the top of the tag.  As an embellishment, I used a couple of corsage pins.  I also used a butterfly that I made with my paper, a Martha Stewart punch, Tim Holtz walnut stickles, and a Clearsnap henna stamp pad.  I attached my tag to a DCWV green card, which I decorated with three strips of print from the same Fiskars stack.  I rounded the upper right hand corner of the card.


My second card was inspired by Unscripted Sketches #159, which has a Piggyback challenge to use ink.  I used ink to write the text in my original art journal page and to edge my butterfly's wings, so that was taken care of.  I used the exact same materials in both cards.  As to the tools, the only additional tool I used was a pair of Fiskars pinking sheers to cut my print.  The layout worked beautifully with my art journal page.  The only thing I had to do was change the shape of the focal point from a square to a rectangle, to fit the format of my print.  Therefore, I also had to lower the horizontal band.  (By the way, I love the way the punched border simulates the lattice work in a garden gate.)

Thank you for visiting my blog, and I apologize for not posting during the week.  With over 12 hour days at work and evening church vestry meetings this week, it was just impossible.  However, 2 Timothy 1:7 truly spoke to me, even when I wasn't in my studio.  As always, you are cordially invited to follow my blog and/or leave a comment - I'll be grateful to you.  Blessings!

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear;
but of power,
and of love,
and of a sound mind.
2 Timothy 1:7


Comments

Tenia Nelson said…
You know you rock....right?! These projects are all awesome!!!!
Arnoldo said…
Thank you, Tenia. It means a lot to me coming from you, because I love your work too. Blessings!
Laura said…
great projects.. thanks for joining us at unscripted sketches..
Hi Arnoldo! As always, I just SO enjoy hearing your creative process and how the scripture speaks to you. Thanks for sharing your art with us in this week's challenge at Word Art Wednesday. Your God-given gift is such a tremendous blessing to me, and I am grateful that you share your work in our challenges.
Blessings,
Karen L
Word Art Wednesday
your projects are Fab. Glad you could join us at Unscripted Sketches :)
Arnoldo said…
Thank you, Karen. I feel blessed to have found your blog for Spiritual inspiration. Blessings!
Wendy Swenne said…
Love your cards. They are so happy and bright and there are lots of things to discover.
Love to read about your process.

Thanks for playing along with WAW.

Wendy
SmilynStef said…
Love those paper pieced tulips ... and your translated them into beautiful card design ... so glad you joined us at Unscripted Sketches.
Eila A said…
I love to see your hand made collages, Arnoldo - and this one with tulips is a real gem! The way you have used various decorated papers is fantastic and makes the result look so vivid. Thank you for participating in the challenge!
Christina said…
What a beautiful collage and wonderful use of it on your cards! I just love the vivid colors. Thanks for joining us this week at CASE Study!
Adriana Benitez said…
Such gorgeous color on your work, Arnoldo. The tulips and the texture are such a treat for the eyes. Thank you for joining us at Unscripted Sketches!
dstandard said…
WOW these are just gorgeous! Thanks for playing at Unscripted
Sketches!
Patrice said…
Love your painted tulips, and I love how you used the sketch from Unscripted Sketches. Those butterflies are GORGEOUS!
Borqna said…
Beautiful tulips! All three projects are very good.
When I saw them for the first time - I thought they were very different. Each has their own vision.
For me it is interesting how the same elements and papers (!) - You have done three projects with different effects on the eyes.
I like a lot of your art journal. He himself is a new challenge - "Enter the size!"
Have a nice day!
Gemiel said…
Awesome!!!! The colors are so bright and cheery. Makes me think of God smiling down on us.

Thanks for playiing along at Word Art Wednesday!
Geri said…
It is always so exciting to see your creations and the creative process that you use! Truly one of a kind! Thanks for choosing to play along with our sketch this week at Unscripted Sketch :)
Jane Wetzel said…
hey there- your blog is fabulous and you seem to "nail" the challenges too :) Awesome!
Jean Martin said…
Very nice! These are so creative! Thanks for playing with us at CASE Study Challenge this week! :)
Debby said…
Love the bright colours in your page Arnoldo! Thanks for joining us at CASE study this week :)
Alicia said…
Stunning... I am especially drawn to the butterfly card. That green is so lovely! Thanks for joining us at Unscripted Sketches this week! :)