Fly Away!

Once again, I'm using my art journal to help me pray, as a therapeutic instrument, and as a tool to lead me through my creative journey.  Word Art Wednesday Challenge #29 featured Psalm 62:8, which reminded me I need to always trust in the Lord and helped me cope with several stressful issues this week.  God is good!  In combination with Collage Obsession's Hot Air Balloon Challenge, I was able to work on my artwork which provided me with the therapy I needed to relax.  My journey led me to create a collage piece in my art journal and design two cards.  I was able to fly away!

©Arnoldo L. Romero 2012
For my hot air balloon collage, I used a combination of papers from a DCWV textured travel stack print, as well as a scrap of paper I hand painted.  I drew the pattern pieces, cut them, traced them on the back of the papers I chose, cut them, arranged them on the page, and glued them down.  I hand lettered the word Selah in the heart with a black Martha Stewart marker.  I drew the details and the Bible verse on the label with a black Sharpie pen.  I believe the label and the postage stamp came from a K&Company vintage paper set, but I'm not sure.  I really like the free spirited feeling this collage piece evokes.  (PS - I'm also submitting this art journal page to Just Keep On Creating Challenge #2.)

©Arnoldo L. Romero 2012
The first card I designed was inspired by The Order of the Opus Gluei Challenge #131, where they're asking their readers to use sewing as one of their techniques.  I found this blog through Electra, whose work is being featured at Take a Word Challenge Blog.  I began by taking a photograph of my page, cropping, editing, and printing it.  I turned the print into a tag, and embellished it with an elephant charm from ArtC and with a purple bead pendant that I made.  Next, I cut the border off of a page from a DCWV The Four Seasons stack to use as a mask for the front cover of my card base.  I taped the ends of a plaid ribbon belt that I made onto the mask and lightly secured the mask with some adhesive to the card base.  I used a Tim Holtz design ruler to punch holes on the bottom and upper perimeter of my card front, and then proceeded to hand stitch it.  I latched the belt and tied the tag to the belt buckle.  I used foam squares to prop the tag diagonally.

©Arnoldo L. Romero 2012
The second card I designed was inspired by Case Study #92, which is continuing with a Spring theme and featuring a greeting cards by Agnieszka.  Her card this week has a prominent central focal point with a moss filled letter and a solid mat.  Since I wanted to incorporate my artwork, I decided to use it in an ATC for my focal point.  I used a scrap of the DCWV border to cut the base, distressed the edges with a scraper, and stained them with a Clearsnap plum ink pad.  I tied a strip of the plaid ribbon around the lower portion.  Next, I used a small print of my artwork to create a stamp, with stained, distressed, and sanded edges.  I also made 3 flower stems using stick scraps, glue, and French lavender - the fragrance is just wonderful!  I arranged all my elements behind the ribbon band and adhered a dove charm to the upper left corner.  I centered my ATC on a cream card base.

I truly feel blessed by the Lord for my creative abilities.  My work may not always be recognized, but He is glorified through it.  I want to thank all my followers and others that have taken the time to comment for motivating me to continue to create.  I cordially invite others to do so.  Blessings!

Trust in Him at all times;
ye people, pour out your
heart before Him: God is
refuge for us.  Selah.
Psalm 62:8

Comments

Jane Wetzel said…
Love your journal page..the cards are beautiful :)
This is, as always, just a beautiful piece of art. Thanks for sharing your heart with us as well. I do pray that God will allow you to trust Him fully and receive the rich blessings that come along with that trust.
That term, Selah, means "think on that" when translated. What a wonderful truth to think on - when we trust Him, He is our refuge and hiding place.
Have a blessed week, my friend.
Karen L
Word Art Wednesday
Tenia Nelson said…
What wonderful creations!!!
Borqna said…
Thank you, Arnoldo - For me was a pleasure to see your new art-projects.
Congratulations!
Wish you success!
Gini said…
Hello Arnoldo!
Hope you are successful in getting your sewing machine up and running again, I love your balloon projects, the colours are beautiful together,but I have to say that the little girl from your previous post is my favourite, she's just fabulous :-)
Gini
Tracey Sabella said…
Amazing art journal page and fabulous how you used it on your card!! Love this verse too! ~ Blessings

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/
Winnie said…
I love reading your posts for not only the beautiful art you create but the love and faith you write about and inspire. I always feel great after reading here and happy to see your creations that I can only inspire to1
Teresa Kline said…
great design!

enjoy *~*
Electra said…
I love how you've walked us through your process to make these beautiful cards. The hot air balloon is awesome, I need to try to make on of my own. Thanks for joining us at Opus Gluei, I hope you play often!
Aimes said…
What works of art!
Thanks for studying with us on CASE Study this week :)
Hugs!
x
Gemiel said…
Arnoldo, I just love your art journal page and how you carried out the same theme in your cards. They are stunning!!! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Word Art Wednesday.
Rosemary said…
Welcome to Opus Gluei, and I want to tell you I'm inspired by your projects. I like the basis of your blog and how you use your art as soothing and inspiring. Your cards are marvelous, and I agree with Electra that I enjoy going through the thought process and creation of them.

Thank you so much for sharing with us, I hope you come back and participate on future challenges as well!
suzARTe said…
this is just great, very unique and eclectic, just the way I like it, fantastic work.

Thanks so much for sharing your creation at Anything goes, Just keep on creating, I hope you will continue to play along. Sorry about the the delay in leaving my comment I have been overseas and then got sick, I will be announcing the winners and will have the next challenge by 01/09 :)