Father

According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary, the main definition of father is a man who has begotten a child or, if capitalized, the first person of the Trinity.  With this in mind, I set myself to create my art entries for this post.  These entries are also helping me prepare in mind and spirit for the upcoming Cathedral House Gallery show, in San Antonio, Texas, which will be featuring 3 of my pieces.

© Arnoldo L. Romero 2012
As usual, I began by working in my art journal.  Collage Obsession is challenging their readers to use "Spirals," so it reminded me of the "Eye of God" hand I drew using a Spin Art app in my iPhone and a "Zentangle Tile" that I drew last summer.  It also inspired me to draw a Celtic Knot symbolizing the Trinity, which is basically a stylized spiral.  I also was inspired by this week's featured scripture at Word Art Wednesday, so I wrote it on a K&Company Smash pad sheet that I purchased at Simon Says.  I combined these items along with spirals I cut with a Fiskars Shapecutter system and a Marvy punch, as well as a knot I cut with a Martha Stewart punch.  I also used a strip of Smash tape and a couple of paperclips that fit the theme.  Since these pages are the initial inspiration for two summer events, my art show and Father's Day, I'm also entering it in the June Stampendous Challenge.

© Arnoldo L. Romero 2012
Using a print of my Zentangle Tile in my art journal page, I designed this card using sketch CPS 268 at the Card Positioning Systems, twine for "Anything Goes" at Simon Says Stamp!, and Challenge #132 "It's All Relative" by Electra at the Order of the Opus Gluei.  I used a brown American Crafts 5x7"card base, a scrap of red paper for the mat,  vintage wooden buttons, and Stanley mason's line.  I like the way the button embellishments that I designed mimic the "boing" tangles by Sandra S. Bartholomew in my spiral tile.

© Arnoldo L. Romero 2012
Using a print of the Celtic Knot I drew, I designed this card for "Put a Button on Fathers Day" at Pile It OnCase Study Challenge #93, "Challenge 12 - Father's Day" at Cards For Men, and Retrosketches #14.  I used a DCWV green card base, a strip of DMD paper ribbon, a brown vintage button, a purple twine spiral, and scraps of paper from a K&Company handmade pad.  (I also used scraps from this latter pad to make the spirals in my art journal page.)  I basically created a medal using the idea of the banner in Agnieszka's card, with a pierced line over it and my best Uncial calligraphic skills to write the word "Father" in the title box.  I believe this would be a great Father's Day card, as well as a card for a priest or other spiritual father.

Let your light so shine before men,
that they may see your good works,
and glorify your Father which is in Heaven.
Matthew 5:16

This Week's Sketch (#268)


Hope you enjoy my post as much as I did putting it together.  By the way, today I'm celebrating the end of the school year, as well as the fact that my "Sew Me Orange" ATC was selected by Carla as a top 3 in the Crazy Amigo Challenge - Orange.  I have international appeal - LOL!  As always, you are cordially invited to leave a comment, as well as to follow me.  Blessings!

Comments

Tenia Nelson said…
Love ALL of your awesome projects!! Thanks for playing in the Stampendous! June Summer challenge!!!

-t
Lynne said…
I love Celtic designs and symbols but have never tried drawing any. This is lovely. Nice detail.
cbuswell said…
I love your Celtic knot! Such a unique card, very refreshing! Thanks for joining us at CASE Study this week!
Barb said…
every project is stunning! beautiful designs, colors, textures. awesome!
Very cool, Arnoldo!
Thanks for sharing your awesome art with us at Word Art Wednesday. Have a blessed week!
Karen L
Word Art Wednesday
...beautiful work all very appealing to the eye...your zentangle is calming, were as most are quite crazy, loVe the vintage buttons too & the Celtic Knot is bold & bright & makes for a meaningful Fathers Day card..fabby makings..Mel :)
Good luck with the show (not that you'll need it) your work speaks for itself :)
Grace said…
Oh wow Arnoldo! Each project is wonderful! Your designs are so filled with meaning and artistic excellence!
Winnie said…
Congratulations on your sew card! That is great news! These are great. I love the celtic knot you designed. The zentangle is so cool as well. Enjoy the end of the school year and have a blessed summer.
Your spiral piece is wonderfully creative- beautifully and thoughtfully composed. Thanks for participating in Collage Obsession this week!
Michelle B. said…
So unique and inspiring - beautiful projects! So glad you joined us for our Father's Day Challenge at Cards for Men!
Lori Saul said…
Wonderful colors and expressive mix of elements and symbolism in your art!
Elizabeth Hart said…
Very creative - love the idea of the Celtic knot on your father's day card. Thanks so much for joining us this week at the Pile it On Challenge.
Electra said…
Such a wonderful range of projects-you are very talented. I love your zentangle!
Nannieflash said…
Fabulous card, love your image and your papers. Thanks for joining us at CFM, good luck with the challenge. hugs Shirleyxxx
Jackie Rockwell said…
Beautiful projects! So glad you played RetroSketches this week!!!
Jana said…
I LOVE your journal pages. It's very inspiring. Those cards are each amazing. Your zentangle tile is perfect. Congratulations for making the top 3 with your ATC. That's wonderful. Thanks so much for playing along with us at OPUS GLUEI.
Janelle said…
I love how you use your art journal. I mostly just play with art or media techniques in mine, but using it as your organizer as well is a great bonus. So glad you added this project to the Stampendous Challenge.
Rosemary said…
I really enjoy visiting your blog, it always makes me feel inspired and it is soothing as well. I guess the phrase I am looking for is - you soothe the soul with your art. This post was a pleasure to read, I like not only seeing what you've created (and I like them) but also the thought and inspiration for them. That means a lot. Thank you for finding us at Opus Gluei and participating with us on our themes.
Cool creations!! Thanks so much for participating in our PILE IT ON challenge!!!
~DEANNE~
Wow, your art is amazing. I loved your walk through. Thank you for playing along with us at the Stampendous Saturday Challenge.