Living By Faith

Hello!  ¡Hola!  I had a frightful weekend, as my brother called to tell me that Mother had trouble breathing, and was at emergency .  She was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, and hospitalized.  Praise be to God, it only took a couple of days for the medical staff to get her cleared, so she's now back home.

   

I'm staying with my Mom, but got some pages done before I came up.  I illustrated this rose by doing a simple pencil sketch first.  Then, I did some watercolor washes.  When it was dry, I used a marker to do the detailing.  I am submitting this page to The Crafting Challenge July, Beautiful Blossoms Challenge - Anything Florals Goes, and Crafting Happiness Challenges - July.

This collage page is an exercise using negative space.  I began by covering my page with scraps of paper.  Then, I cut out the women's silhouette on the newsprint paper, and glued the negative portion over the harlequin print background.  I fussy-cut the butterflies from a butterfly print piece, and glued them on the background.  I composed the butterfly poem, and wrote it on a vintage tag from my stash.  Then, I glued it and the Chinese tile on the background.  I am submitting this page to July 2026 Art Nudge Challenge, Shopping Our Stash SOS579 - What's the Good Word?, and What's On Your Workdesk? Wednesday 895/115.

For this page, I played around with a blend of collage and drawing.  I began by sketching out the fashion figure.  Then, using a scrap of cardstock I had stenciled, I cut out the bodice of her dress; with a scrap of a map print, to simulate lace, I cut out the flowing skirt pieces and the trim.  Finally, using a calligraphy pen, I lettered the initial L for Leonardo, which is my middle name.  I was trying to make it look like a fashion designer's logo - LOL!  Anyway, I am submitting this to Stencil Fun Challenge July 2026, Art Journal Journey - Fabric, Lace and trims... oh my!, and Friday Face Off 07/31/2026.

I travel with art supplies, so while I was in my Mom's hospital room, I illustrated this Kawaii fruit postcard.  I began by lightly sketching out the beach scene with a pencil.  Then, I colored the scene using Conté and Faber-Castel colored pencils.  I used a Sharpie, to outline the drawing and letter the title.  It was a great stress-relief exercise.  I am submitting this to Inspiration Station Challenge July 2026 - Photo #87, Inspired By... Summer #IB399 (Thanks for the Inspired by Hydrangea Win!), and Sunday Postcard Art - Fruit.

My Sunday Best & Mosaic Monday
Saturday Critters
T Stands for Tuesday 07/28/2026

I took these last 3 pictures since my last post.  The first picture is of a Cenizo (Texas Sage) and a Firebush in a flowerbed in our front yard.  With all the recent rain we got, they are blooming beautifully.  The second picture is Sammy, my Siamese cat.  She's very smart, playful and loving, and likes to cuddle up with me whenever she can.  The last picture is of an iced tea I purchased at a gas station, to help me stay alert during my trip across the state to be with my Mom.

In closing, I want to leave you with an excerpt from my sermon, based on the readings for the 9th Sunday after Pentecost:

In these readings, we learn that God is always within and around us.  Jesus invites us to see the mustard seed as a metaphor for our own actions.  One tiny good deed, act of mercy, or moment of faith, will grow huge in many dimensions.  Pauls reminds us that nothing can separate believers from God's love, highlighting how the Spirit's intercession can help us, and confirm God's ultimate victory over trials.  This is the promise of our faith, so let us not lose hope.

Thanks for visiting!  ¡Gracias por visitarme!  Please leave a comment, and I'll be glad to reciprocate, so we can get to know each other.

Shalom,
Arnoldo+

Comments

Helen said…
sorry to hear about your Mum but glad she is home now. glad you were able to take some art supplies to use while you are there. Happy WOYWW Helen #1
ukmaryanne said…
Happy pre-knitting WOYWW!
Hope your mom is doing better - you being with her will be much appreciated, I'm sure. Gorgeous card, adorable cat, and the ATC is fun too. Always so much to see in your posts!
Mary Anne (5)
Sorry to hear about your mum and hope everything continues to improve for her. I love the design on the can, very inspiring and all your art work too. Happy and creative woyww, Angela X7X
Elizabeth said…
So sorry to hear about your mother. I hope she continues to improve with your help, I'm sure. Your cards and pages are fabulous and Sammy is beautiful. Have a good week. Elizabeth #3
Lynnecrafts said…
So sorry to hear about your mother, and I’m glad she’s out of hospital now.
It was good thinking to take your craft supplies with you when going to the hospital. You made some beautiful images.
Your cat Sammy is lovely.
Take care and happy WOYWW
Lynnecrafts 9 xx
I am so saddened to hear about your Mother's health. I am praying for her right now, and also for you and your whole family. Let us together continue to trust in God.

God bless you all.
Julia Dunnit said…
Thankful that your dear Mom is home, I expect she’s relishing having you with her. Sorry that her illness was such a fright, it is hard to process isn’t it. Beautiful crafting again Arnoldo, love your exercise in negative space, I think you aced it!
Diane said…
Lots of pretty and creative pages, happy to hear your Mom is home and doing better, hopefully your creating helps ease your mind!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Stencil Fun!
Diane
{Nellies Nest}
Stencil Fun Co-Owner
Happy belated T day Arnoldo. I figured I'd better write that first so I don't forget to do that. :) And this is another wonderful art post, but definitely not good news about your Mother. I hope she improves and the congestive heart failure isn't too serious (although I know it can be as my Dad had that.) Your art today is super. That dress and beautiful lady is perfect for Halle's challenge at AJJ, and I must say. your Kawaii fruit on the beach made me smile. Thanks for joining AJJ, and I hope you don't have anymore terrible phone calls this week.
Halle said…
Sorry to hear about your mom...glad she is doing better. So many lovely creations!
Vonmariedesign said…
I love your Kawaii Postcard. So great you illustrate. So sorry to hear about your mom I'm happy she is home now. Hugs!! Thank you for joining us at Inspired by...blog. ~Von Marie~
MELODY JACOB said…
I hope you're able to take a long, deep exhale now that you're staying with her. Give sweet Sammy a huge cuddle for me. Siamese cats are so brilliantly intuitive and always seem to know precisely when you need that extra bit of comfort, and I'm so glad those Texas Sage and Firebush are blooming brightly for you after the rain.

Thank you for sharing such a tender, honest piece of your life right now, along with those beautiful words from your sermon. Sending you and your mom so much warmth, strength, and love.
CJ Kennedy said…
I hope your mother is improving now that she's home and with your tender care. Lovely artwork especially the hand-lettering. Your decorated initial would make a fabulous logo. You kitty has such beautiful eyes. I just had a glass of Arizona half-lemonade, half ice tea with my lunch. Happy T Day
Mina said…
Lovely post. Thanks for sharing.
BJ said…
Oh my goodness - prayers for your Mother. Gorgeous watercolour rose. Gosh nearly missed the harlequin silhouette but stunning when you see it. Love your fashion lady reminds me of paper sewing pattern illustrations. Love how you can travel with art supplies. Love the plants - oh so different to ours here in the UK but with these temperatures who knows what the future holds. Thanks for the reminder of hope - I really needed that as struggling with lots of stuff right now. Hugs Bj#11
Amanda said…
Prayers certainly for your Mom. Your first card is beautifully simple but really catches the eye. I love the scripture used and the whole design. Great job! Thank you for joining our Beautiful Blossoms challenge this month. We appreciate your entries and love to see your creative inspirations! We look forward to seeing more of your beautiful art! ~ Amanda
It's amazing how much art you were able to create while visiting your mother. SO glad she is doing so well after the scare.

Loved the photo of your cat and the amazing dress you created for Halle's theme at AJJ.

I've had that AriZona tea before and it IS refreshing. Thanks for sharing it with us for T this week. Sorry I'm late visiting. I was sick for two days.

Popular Posts