Into The Storm

Hello!  ¡Hola!  This past week was busy as usual, but low key.  It was a welcome change, after the stressful summer that I had.  My wife and I would love to take a vacation, but still don't know where we will go or when that will happen.

                   

This art journal page was inspired by The Paper Players PP798 Color Challenge (Thank you for the PP797 Win!), Triple B August 2026, and  Creative Crafting Uncles #79 - No Stamping.  I began by choosing ephemera from my stash that matched the color scheme.  I used Sizzix Tim Holtz Mini Tattered Floral dies and a Martha Stewart Flower Punch to cut the flower shapes out of used coffee sleeves.  After visualizing my composition, I glued the ticket; drew the parakeet with fine nib inking pens; and painted it with watercolors.  I used markers to sketch the leaves, the pistils, and to do the calligraphy on the tag.  Finally, I glued the remaining pieces.
   
Next, I have my Sunday Postcard Art, featuring this week's theme, Space, which was chosen by Sabine.  Since I used a vintage Hallmark postcard for the base that has a "Fall Flowers" color scheme, I'm also submitting this to the Neglected Stuff Challenge August 2026 and A Cut Above August.  The theme immediately reminded me of one of my favorite 1960's childhood shows, "Lost in Space."  I was fascinated by the Robot, B-9, so I decided to use a Sizzix Georgie Evans 50's Robot Thinlits die to design mine.  I doodled a space like background and hand lettered his infamous line.  (The video features the guy that voiced the robot, if you're interested in learning more.)
I continue to make an Icad's, because I like the format, but choosing my own themes.  This is a Kawaii style Diplodocus Dinosaur that I drew, inspired by a book by Olive Young.  I used markers and colored pencils.  I really like this quote by Vincent Van Gogh, and decided it was perfect for my cute, artsy, and loving Dino.  I am submitting this to Creative-Tanten Challenge #116 Anything Goes, Critter Crazy #113 Anything Goes, and Simon Says Monday Challenge: Funny Punny.
I have a BFA, so I've been working on exercises I learned in college.  One of these exercises is Non-dominant Hand Drawing, which forces you to discover a new language for the use of line and form.  I combined it with Contour Drawing, which enhances observation skills, simplifies forms, and is very therapeutic.  This self-portrait is not realistic, but forced me not to use an eraser and to loosen up.
These last 3 pictures are my "this, that, and the other mosaic."  The first picture is Rolo, our Tortoiseshell and the oldest of our 3 cats.  She is loyal and affectionate to us, but is reclusive when it comes to other people or cats.  The second picture is my drink of choice with every lunch, in the heat of SW Texas.  I like other brands of sparkling water, but the HEB brand is just as good and less expensive.  The last picture is of my two grandchildren and youngest daughter.  The boys are joyful, inquisitive, and precocious, so I can hardly wait to see them later this week, when they'll be coming for a visit.

In closing, I want to leave you with an excerpt from my last sermon, based on Matthew 14:22-33:

Like Peter and the disciples, we all have storms to bear in the sea of life.  Storms can come in all sorts of forms, such as personal failures, political schisms, and infectious diseases.  Jesus asks us to take heart, not be afraid, and have faith.  This doesn't mean that God will magically take away the storms of life, so that we may transcend issues such as the laws of nature, physics, and biology.  Tragedies in the sea of life can strike anyone.  Instead, faith is knowing that Christ is always with us, and will provide us with the strength, courage, and wisdom to bear all the storms of life to reach a new land, a new way of being, and a new life.

Thanks for visiting!  ¡Gracias por visitarme!  Please leave a comment, and I will reciprocate, so that we can get to know each other.

Shalom,
Arnoldo

Comments

Sabine said…
love your robot collage, thanks for joining this challenge
Kirsten M. said…
Ich sollte auch Mal wieder malen. Dein Dino ist großartig geworden. Danke fürs zeigen bei uns Kreativtanten. Herzlichst Kirsten 💜
Deann said…
I love your beautiful artwork especially your pencil portrait. Thank you for your kind words on my blog. have a wonderful week.
Maria Medeiros said…
Really lovely artwork! I love the face line drawing! Your cat is so cute and your grandchildren super super adorable! Your drink looks refreshing. I need to try coconut water sometime. I also appreciate and I am very grateful for the excerpt. It is really wonderful and perfect in timing. Thank you for your visit to my blog. I appreciate it so much. have a lovely week and a wonderful August!
I used to love "Lost in Space" especially the sneaky man who always plotted against the group - forgot his name. (He appears in your video clip).

Thank you for your sermon reflections. God bless you and your family.
Beautiful artwork, Arnoldo. And I love the budgie. Of course I also love ❤️ cats. Thank you for sharing your talent.
Diane said…
Very pretty and creative bird card!
Thank you for joining our challenge at Triple B!
Diane
{Nellies Nest}
Triple B Co-Owner
That Lost in Space piece is great. I remember that show; it's funny how outdated the robot now seems. Well time moves forward. And your dino is great too. I love the beret. It sounds like a good week; quiet is always nice but so is travel. I hope you figure out a vacation with your wife. And I hope it's been a great T day so far.
Helen said…
Well done on your no 1 spot - happy WOYWW . a full and varied post as always. Hope you sort a holiday. Helen #3
That parakeet is stunning. Love the entire composition. I never saw Lost in space. I think I would have enjoyed it. Love the cheeky dinosaur. Glad you are still making ICADs. That's a remarkable drawing. Happy FFO and AFFF. What an adorable cat. I have one of those that doesn't play well with Bleubeard or people. Squiggles is the outcast, I fear. And I have to be honest. I have never heard of HEB brand sparkling water, but yours sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing it and your art with us for T this Tuesday.

Oh my! 'Lost in Space' my hubby still watches it as it comes on every now and then here in the UK. Your budgie is lovely too. We.ve booked our holiday but it's not until January, my old friends at woyww will know where I'm going.......skiing in France, can't wait. Happy woyww, Angela x7x
Lunch Lady Jan said…
I love that Van Gogh quote, never heard that one before and wholeheartedly agree with it! Your space robot is a friendly chap as is the budgie, so cute but not as lovely as that pic of your grandsons, precious times xx
Hugs LLJ 2 xx
Great cards and ATC. Your bird reminds me of a beautiful pale blue budgie I had, I had put the cage and stand outside as it was a lovely day, sadly a gust of wind blew the cage over and she escaped. Angela #14
ClaireB said…
A very cute looking dinosaur. Nice looking budgie and cat too! Thanks for joining us at the Critter Crazy Challenge this month Claire DT
Elizabeth said…
Hello Arnoldo, as usual I enjoyed looking at your cards for this week. Like others, I particularly like the Lost in Space one. I'm so impressed with your self-portrait, mainly because I can't draw with my dominant let alone the non-dominant one. Roll looks beautiful and has, in a lot of ways, a very similar personality to my Silver. Have a good week. Elizabeth #13
Conny said…
Really wonderful art creations, Arnoldo! Love the bird card!

Hugs,
Conny
Lynnecrafts said…
The parakeet and robot are lovely.
Happy WOYWW
Lynnecrafts 9 xx
Julia Dunnit said…
I’m unfamiliar with BFa, but am deeply impressed that you exercise as result, the non dominant drawing is amazing. I love the idea of count sparkling water, how refreshing, one of my favourite fragrances, ingredients, in pretty much any form from soap to drink! I so like the way you casually say that you use markers to draw or add detail, you inspire me to be more confident with the un-erasable!
Preciosas postales. Que arte. Arnaldo está súper agusto. Besitos
Vicki said…
Wonderful and such a creative journal page!! Love the water coloring on the bird and that you used coffee sleeves for the flowers. Adds so much texture to the design. Lots of great artistic details. Thanks for sharing your inspiration with the August Challenge at A Cut Above.
Vicki - ACA Owner
Vicki said…
I got so caught up in the journal page that I forgot about that awesome robot. Great die cut and paper piecing on this fun card. Thanks for sharing with the August Challenge at A Cut Above.
Stef Perry said…
Arnoldo, it's always fun to visit your blog post. When I was young, my mom always had parakeets, so I find your ink and watercolor picture a nice way to remember that. Love the robot too and your non-dominant contour drawing is impressive. I've tried that and it's not easy. Thank you so much for joining us this week at the Paper Players!
BJ said…
Well I never, didn't realise Budgerigars were Parakeets! Super drawing as ever. Love the robot die - I even remember "Lost in Space" Ah a BFA now that explains how good you are at all the drawing. Love the contour drawing, I tried it but not great for me - LOL. Defo needed the mini-sermon. Struggling somewhat with the heat and all the buildings works around us at present. Not been to church for months, nor played badminton or been dancing all because of the heat, my menopausal body just cannot deal with heat at all. Kinda given up reading the NT with church too just can't take anymore so the odd input is quite welcome. Hugs Bj#11
Lisca said…
As always I enjoyed your very varied posts and this one is no exception. I love the left-hand drawing. Not just the idea, but also the result. I wouldn't be able to do this with my dominant hand, let alone my non-dominant one.
I also like the idea of flavoured sparkling water. We have sparkling water here but I've not seen flavoured.
And then the lovely Rolo. She is gorgeous. Give her a cuddle from me.
A very belated T-Day greeting,
Lisca
Darlene said…
What fun cards! Oh yes I remember Wil Robinson lol. Thanks so much for joining in the fun at our Neglected Stuff & Triple B challenges! Good Luck and we hope you’ll come back often.

Darlene
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS
Neglected Stuff Co-Owner
NEGLECTED STUFF CHALLENGE
Triple B Co-Owner
Mr. Shife said…
¡Hola Arnoldo! What a wonderful and creative collection of work this week! That Kawaii Diplodocus in a beret paired with the Van Gogh quote made me smile—such a clever combination. Your non-dominant hand portrait is super impressive, too! I hope you have a fantastic time hosting your daughter and grandsons this week, and that you and your wife get that well-deserved vacation planned soon
DVArtist said…
I hope by now you know where you will vacation. All of your art is delightful. So inviting. Will Ribinson is a good one. Very good robot. Of course my face this week is your self portrait using your non dominate hand. It's very good indeed. Thank you for sharing all of your faces with FFO and have a very nice weekend.
Arnoldo your blog is always such an interesting read and this week is no exception. I really like the collage you created with our Paper Players colour palette this week and that non-dominant hand contour drawing is very impressive too. Thanks for joining us again over at The Paper Players this week!
Sarah Brennan said…
Great artwork as always Arnoldo - love the budgie especially. Enjoy the time with family. Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah
Tom said…
...summer has flown by in a flash, enjoy what remains. Peace.
SO many amazing cards! I love them all. The Bible Verses make my heart happy, too! The sweet parakeet and the fun scene is perfect for our color combo.SO happy you joined us at The Paper Players this week!
Ann Schach said…
Arnoldo, your work is always a delight to behold. Your parakeet card, with its lovely bible verse, truly shows off our challenge colors this week. I will also have to say I LOVE the Will Robinson card. I remember watching "Lost in Space" back in the day. Have a wonderful weekend, and thank you for playing with The Paper Players this week!
'self portrait is great ~ Happy Friday ~ Hugs ^_^
Gillena Cox said…
Shalom
Lots of nice and interesting pieces
Happy Friday
Thanks for linking to AFFF

MUCH LOVE
Veronica Lee said…
Love the parakeet, the playful robot, and that adorable dino in a beret! Your self‑portrait is impressive, and Rolo looks so sweet. The family photo is pure happiness. Thanks for the uplifting words at the end too!
Iris Flavia said…
Love your art. With your self-portrait you threw me back to studying. We had 30-90 second-challenges to capture fellow students. It was fun after all the technical drawing (haha, I´m old). Have fun with the kids!
CJ Kennedy said…
Your lovely artwork brought me smiles and happy memories. My aunt had 2 parakeets. One green, Pretty Boy Robert and the other Pretty Boy Blue. Sometimes my uncle would let them fly around the apartment. I was a fan of "Lost in Space", too, and loved the robot. Thanks for the smiles and Happy T Day
The storms of life....I've had a hard year and I so appreciate your words of encouragement. Your visits to my blog this year have meant a lot to me and I always feel uplifted by your sermons. I would love to hear you preach some day. Hugs, Diane
eileeninmd said…
Hello Arnoldo
Your art work is a treat to see. I love the parakeet. I remember watching Lost in Space. Rolo is a sweetie. Cute photo of your grandchildren and daughter. It is a joy spending time with the family. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.
Judy Woodland said…
Fabulous cards, they are all wonderful!! You have such an eye for color and design, so happy to see you over at A Cut Above. I hope we see you back again soon, and thanks for playing along.
Judy~ ACA CT Designer
Rostrose said…
Dear Arnoldo, you've been very artistic again. I'm particularly impressed by how well you can draw with your non-dominant hand (I can't even do that well with my dominant hand). I especially like your parakeet collage, your cat, and the cooling splish-splash photo of your grandsons.
All the best from Austria 🤗
Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2026/08/sommerliche-tage-2026-ein-bunter.html
EricaSta said…
Again many things to find. And of course... I admire the artwork!
Thank you for your nice comment too. Greetings by Heidrun
I watched Lost in Space and Star Trek when I was a kid. Loved them!
Your art is amazing. You certainly have talent!
Visiting from NixPixMix.
Have a fun week
All the best.
Debra @ Life Captured

Life Captured invites you and guests to the link parties Home Page Linkup and My Sunday Snapshot at
https://lifecaptured.site
R's Rue said…
Love your work. God bless you and yours.
Lovely art you've shared here.
I like your three random photographs especially the one with your adorable grandchildren.

All the best Jan
I like your Diplodocus dinosaur sketch. You have been busy! Lovely family photos.
Luiz Gomes said…
Boa tarde meu querido amigo Reverendo Arnold. Estamos sujeitos a passar, por várias tempestades, o principal é saber, que não passamos sozinhos, o Senhor Jesus está sempre ao nosso lado. Seus cartões e desenhos são lindos. Tenho um sobrinho neto, chamado Enzo, ele é apaixonado por dinossauros. Obrigado pela visita e comentário, um grande abraço do seu irmão em Cristo Jesus, Evangelista João Luiz.
EricaSta said…
I agree... and I would like to ask, is your portrait an one-line-drawing? It's fantastisc indeed.
Thank you for sharing at MosaicMonday

Greetings by Heidrun
Hi Heidrun! Yes, the self-portrait is a one-line drawing. Thanks for visiting!
Another great blog entry, Arnoldo. I like your self-portrait very much! Thanks for taking part in the "My Sunday Best" meme.

Popular Posts