Art Smorgasbord - Enjoying the Ride

I started working on the projects for this week's post with a vintage botanical theme in mind.  However, it ended up reflecting the way my week has been, which had lots of unexpected detours.  Sometimes you just have to go with the flow and enjoy the ride.

© Arnoldo L. Romero 2013
The Spring projects above were inspired by Tim Holtz - Tattered Floral Challenge.  I made the flowers by following Tim's instructions, except I varied the painting technique on the tissued grungeboard.  I also customized my fasteners differently, by using vintage buttons and twine.  Since I had some painted grungeboard leftovers, I cut some butterflies with my Tim Holtz's mini dies.  I used glass E-beads and wire to design bodies for the butterflies, which I glued on.  I arranged the pieces around a birch tree branch to photograph them.  I am also submitting this designs to Simon Says Stamp - Anything Goes and Take a Word - Wings.


© Arnoldo L. Romero 2013
The art journal page above, which was inspired by John 3:3, was a lot of fun to make.  I started off by illustrating the egg on bristol paper using gouache paints and Prismacolor pencils.  Then, I carefully trimmed Maryjo Koch images and papers, as well as my egg.  I created my collage composition, and then lettered in the Bible verse with a micron pen.  I finished the piece by adding some orange and blue shading with Prismacolor pencils all around the page.  I am submitting this page to the Artist Playroom #46 - Blorange, Collage Obsession - EggsWord Art Wednesday #69, What's on Your Workdesk? Wednesday 195, and Paint Party Friday - Week 51, Year 2.

© Arnoldo L. Romero 2013
The tag above is part of the children's book I wrote and illustrated, based on my original character, ©Anel.  I illustrated the page using a micron pen and Prismacolor pencils.  The text is a combination of a Martha Stewart letter stamp and simple hand lettering.  I matted the illustration using a Pressed Petals print.  This is part of my Tag Tuesday - Alphabet series, but I'm also submitting it to Three Muses - Rustle of Spring, Illustration Friday - Talent, and Sunday Sketches.

© Arnoldo L. Romero 2013
© Arnoldo L. Romero 2013
The 2 photographs above are from my iPhone 4S shots collection.  I took the floral bouquet photograph during my family's Thanksgiving celebration in Austin, Texas.  I cropped the image, enhanced the warm tones, and blurred the edges.  I felt the latter gave the photograph a much more intimate and romantic feel.  I took the photograph of the old dormitory front doorway at Texas A&M University, in College Station, Texas.  I cropped the image, adjusted the exposure, warmed up the tones, and added a digital mat.  I am submitting this photographs to 52 Photos Project: Gallery 45 {Vintage} and Mandarin Monday #31.

By the way, have you heard of Featuring: Art Journaling, Mixed Media and More?  It's a fabulous new European magazine that is very inspiring and creates a sense of community around the world, according to the various testimonials.  One of my blogging friends, Jennifer McLean, from the Artist's Playroom, is one of the writers, so I know it's an excellent magazine!  You can get a glimpse of some of the articles in issue #3 here.  Enjoy!

I hope you enjoyed the ride, as much as I did.  I want to thank all my followers, as well as all the people that have been leaving such encouraging comments.  Godspeed!

Comments

Lorraine A said…
Gorgeous creations Arnoldo :-) I love the flower and butterflies ,,, absolutely stunning and the journal page is fabulous ,,,and a book !!! WOW!! you are so talented ! I love the illustration, she is lovely :-)

thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Challenge :-)
luv
Lols x x x
Dawny P said…
This is lovely :) What a fabulous design, I love it. Thank you for joining us over at the Simon Says Stamp challenge, hugs, Dawny x
sharon said…
Love all of these, especially your anel, she is so cute. Blessings
Lorraine said…
Morning..lovely art here I like your illustrations especially that egg and the little girl in the garden..I have just been planting daffodils as spring is on its way even though its very cold..happy ppf
Netty said…
Loving your craftings Arnoldo and your beautiful writing on your artwork.
Happy PPF, Annette http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/
Heather said…
All fabulous creations Arnoldo - I should stop coming here - I spend too much time looking your creations!!!
Your Tattered Flowers are fabulous, I love the colour scheme and such fabulous butterflies!!

Thanks for joining Simon Says Stamp challenge,
hugs
Heather xx
Anonymous said…
Lots of wonderful art creations here from the wonderful collage, book illustration and photography ~ so creative! Wonderful! ^_^

Thanks for your 'visit' ^_^
Anne Manda said…
Oh lovely pieces, the butterflies and flowers are rich and wonderful, love all the interesting textures! Love the journal page and pics, too!
Christine said…
lovely work this week Arnoldo!
Carolyn Dube said…
Another wonderfully creative week for you! I love love love your tattered florals! Happy PPF!
Mary C. Nasser said…
Congratulations on another wonderfully prolific week, Arnoldo!
♥♥♥
Happy PPF!!
Mary
Mixed-Media Map Art
Gloria j Zucaro said…
I love the butterfly's and twigs page. Anel made me laugh today with her "fly away" hair! Your entry of the orange and blue page for APR is really vibrant and and I admire your excellent lettering skills.
GlorV1 said…
I think your craftings are awesome and those photos are great too. Love that dormitory picture. Thanks for sharing.
Marji said…
So creative. Its always fun to visit here - you have so many things going and your creativity is inspiring. Nice work.
I'm loving the gorgeous butterflies. Gorgeous work as always. Thanks SO MUCH for sharing your work with us, Arnoldo. It's always a blessing when you share.
Karen
Word Art Wednesday
Faye said…
Your works this week are a feast for the eyes. I especially like the journal page with your calligraphy on it. Beautiful work.
Linda Kunsman said…
Thank you Arnoldo-I have enjoyed this ride very much!! Yout Tim Holtz inspired pieces are really FAB and the journal page and illustration page are beautiful. I can't imagine how you keep up with so many challenges each week.I applaud you. Happy PPF!
Winnie said…
Arnoldo: Enjoying the journey and so glad I found a path with you on it to share your creations. I think H is my favorite letter today in Anel's book. It is heartwarming. Your photos are awesome, love the editing you have done (I point and click on a good day!). Your collage is lovely as is the lettering of the scripture. Have a blessed week!
Jennifer McLean said…
beautifully done Arnoldo. I'm always blown away at how much art you get done every week! Thanks for participating.
Currie Silver said…
wonderful post and BEautimous art, Arnoldo!! your take on "blorange" is lovely. always warms my heart to visit you.
have a spectaculicious weekend!!
Visiting from APR--the journal page is so soft and lovely! I enjoyed seeing all of your awesome work.
Wonderful creations this week, you had a very busy time.
Have a blessed week
WOYWW Heather # 84
Thank you for gracing us with your inspiring art and uplifting words. It really is refreshing every time I visit your page.
Leovi said…
Exquisita la composición de las mariposas y la flor.
Barb King said…
You have been so productive, Arnoldo! I love the flowers and butterflies, very beautiful. And I always enjoy your tags. I see we both choose Home this week for H. Barb
Joy Murray said…
"We make plan, God laughs." Unexpected detours are always part of the ride, aren't they. Yet you don't let them take you off your path. I especially love the botanical work and the calligraphy. Beautiful and thoughtful work.
Barb Cady said…
A lovely post Arnoldo, I especially love your tattered floral art, quite beautiful. I do not know how I came to miss your last post, but looking at it now I have really enjoyed all the aspects, it has reminded me of The Road Less Travelled Poem by Frost do you know it? Joy to you dear blogging friend. Barb x
Paula (PEP) said…
Your art journal page with the butterfly & egg is a joy to behold & I had to smile at Anel's definition of gardening. The butterflies with your first project caught my eye too - I'm particularly fond of butterfly images though I know very little about identification. Birds, butterflies & bees just delight me. My husband always calls me to rescue a spider which has got itself into an awkward position - the latest was behind the cushion of our sofa which Richard (husband) was vacuuming!
God's creatures are delightful - we had a Buzzard (I think) in our garden earlier this week. I've rambled rather......
Paula (PEP)
Jez said…
All beautiful artwork, particularly the page for APR - the egg and butterfly seem to jump off the page. Lovely delicate colouring on the artwork. You are so productive and talented.
Oh, those are gorgeous! I might have to try my hand at those tattered flowers too. It's awesome too that you wrote that children's book.

Have a great weekend.
beautiful artwork Arnoldo!

fabulous!
Unknown said…
Beautiful work - I love those distressed flowers. Glad you were able to ride the flow in your up and down week!
Ann said…
Wonderful art in your journal and beautiful job enhancing the photos.
Lynn Cohen said…
There's always so much to see and enjoy here and I do! I love the abc series so much! Nice photos and journal pages all!
Love your tattered florals and the button centers! Cool butterflies too! Can't believe how well you take I phone photos...most excellent!
April said…
I bet your butterflies and flowers would give Tim a run for his money. As always your art is beautiful.
April #151
Nordljus said…
Such a beautiful variety of paintings, techniques and photographs. I especially like the alphabet picture, it's so sweet!
Unknown said…
Beautiful artwork and photos... :)
Giggles said…
I'm loving your childs book and the lovely message on that page!! All very nice work...I agree there are weeks that we must live in the flow and sometimes it takes beautiful places we never imagined!!

Hugs Giggles
Ritu Dua said…
I totally enjoy visiting you...my favorite this week is the journal page with the map and the butterfly :)
Victoria said…
Hi Arnoldo...yor photos always move me and pull at me...they always carry a presence and wonderful vibe and sense of atmosphere!! love them! and of course I have so enjoyed all of your art pieces today..love the butterfly ! and also the John quote..everything really comes to life in that piece...stunning! Anel is also so fabulous! Shine on..I love it all!
Victoria
Anonymous said…
Your work is lovely. I like the photo of the door especially.
HansHB said…
A lovely post!
Happy MOM!
very nicely done,and your home page looks great.
Tracey FK said…
I took part in a ten day challenge on facebook and every time I thought of skipping a day I thought of how much you create every week and it inspired me to keep at it... and so glad I did... thanks for the inspiration and spurt along even if you didn't know you were doing it!!!
VonnyK said…
Such fabulous art as always Arnoldo. Your spring project is gorgeous and I love the journal page you did for APR. Your photos look amazing with the adjustments you made and I always look forward to seeing another letter in the childrens book.
Have a great week, sorry I'm late.
Von.
AM Zafaran said…
Gorgeous creations all! especially those butterflies! wish one flies to my room!
Anonymous said…
You are talented and obviously very busy artist. I also love the butterflies.
Unknown said…
Lovely butterflies! I especially like the little gardening drawing. :)
Liz said…
Lovely work as usual. Happy MOM!

I'd also like to invite you to join Orange You Glad It's Friday. It's an Orange meme too and starting March 11, I will be hosting it at Life's sweets and spices. Hope to see you there.
Marlena M. said…
You always give so much MORE here, Arnoldo, each and every post. Thank you for sharing your beautiful creations!
lorik said…
It is a such a warm floral image..it glows. Great iphone shot! Thank you for sharing on Mandarin Orange Monday:)
Neesie said…
I apologise for being so late in visiting Arnoldo, but it's a pleasure as always to see what you've been creating.
All your work is stunning and shows just how versitile your creativity is...I am in awe of how much art you produce. Each one so unique.
Thank you for keeping me inspired.
Have a great week and I'll try to be earlier next time! ;D
So beautiful! I love everything... Thank's for sharing...

Stopping by from Mandarin Orange Monday- hope you can stop by :)

http://www.heavenly-dreams.com/2013/03/i-so-love-those-chunky-little-hands.html
Bella Cirovic said…
Thanks for sharing, Arnold. I love the vintage feel of your photo!