Art Smorgasbord - The Third Midweek

Greetings!  I can't believe it's the third midweek of 2013, which means we're half way into January.  It's been a marvelous year thus far, thank you Lord, with exciting projects happening in my studio, but time is sure is going fast.

© Arnoldo L. Romero 2013
The first project I want to present to you is a tag I designed inspired by the techniques of Tim Holtz 12 Tags of 2013 - January.  I got a Sizzix Big Shot and a few dies and embossing folders for Christmas, so this was the perfect opportunity to use them.  Although I used Tim's Damask embossing folder, I followed Tim's background instructions.  Next, I cut a grungeboard dress form using Tim's die, and created a steampunk "lacy" corset illusion using the foil tape sheet technique he featured last September.  I drew some lines on it with a micron pen to give it some dimension.  Then, I used vintage prints, an old gear, an old watch face, a hand lettered kraft label, Tim's Film Strip Ribbon, Tim's washi tape, Tim's mini- stapler, and one of Tim's memo pins to finish decorating my tag.  As a finishing touch, I stamped some ribbon as per his instructions, but used a different stamp.  I am also submitting this piece to Crazy Amigo Challenge - Embossing FoldersSimon Says Stamp and Show: Lace LoveSimon Says Stamp Challenge - Use Washi Tape, and What's On Your Worddesk Wednesday #189.

© Arnoldo L. Romero 2013 
© Arnoldo L. Romero 2013
The next two digital collages I designed using Pixelmator, and feature photographs I took during the last 6 months.  The first photograph I took during my visit to the Big Bend National Park.  I did a little editing to enhance the mood, and then used several layers to create the "Alpha and Omega" monogram and insert the scripture.  I designed this piece for Word Art Wednesday: Challenge #63 - Anything Goes, where I'm blessed to be this month's guest designer.  You can get a free digi copy of the scripture there, which reminds me of His nurturing nature during times of trouble.  I took the second photograph the day after Christmas in Tyler, Texas, where my father-in-law lives.  It had snowed the day before, so the forest areas around his home were covered in a sheet of white.  The scripture I used reminds me that God's blessings are for all of us, both the good and the evil.  Therefore, I should thrive to love everyone equally just like He does, even though it's not always easy.  I am also submitting these photographs to 52 Photos Project: Gallery 39 {Wide Open Spaces}Artist's Play Room #40 - WeatherMandarin Orange Monday #26, and Orange You Glad It's Friday #22.

© Arnoldo L. Romero 2013
The art journal page above is a study of Saint Micah, who prophesied that the King of Israel would be born in Bethlehem, 700 years before Jesus was born.  I did this drawing for my post at the Twenty Minute Challenge blog.  (I thoroughly enjoy writing icons, so eventually I'll use this as a basis to do one of Micah.)  I began with a quick pencil outline, and then proceeded to do the detailing using a micron pen.  I barely had time to finish the drawing in the allotted time, so I had to do all the lettering afterwards.  I love this quote from Micah 6:8, although I sometimes struggle with leading a humble life.  I am often influenced by the Capitalist system and the consumerist society in which I live.  May God have mercy on me.  I am submitting this piece to Three Muses - Quote and Journal PageArt Journal Journey - CrownsPaint Party Friday, and Artists in Blogland.

© Arnoldo L. Romero 2013
Last, but not least, I illustrated the second page of my book titled, Anel's Favorite Things, as part of my Tag Tuesday Alphabet series.  You may have seen the first page in last week's post.  I began by doing a pencil drawing, and then inking it with a micron pen.  Next, I used Prismacolor pencils and some Marvy markers to illustrate the drawing.  I matted my drawing on some striped print cardstock and mounted it on a tag base.  I used a Martha Stewart stamp for the letter "B," and then hand lettered the rest of the text.  I am using a book ring to bind my pages.  Anel and I are having a great time illustrating the book and hopefully get it published some day.  LOL!  I am also submitting this page to the Order of the Opus Gluei: Challenge #148 Pink Colour, and Sunday Sketches.

This brings me to the end of this weeks post.  May the Lord quench our spirit's thirst, help us love our neighbors, and keep us humble.  Have a wonderful week!

Comments

Ingenius artwork !
Thank you very much for this great entry for
ART-JOURNAL-JOURNEY

I really hope to see you there in february again!

Have a good day Romero!
xxx Susi
Claudia N. said…
Love your take on the Tim Holtz january tag! Beautiful!

die amelie x
Rosie said…
Wow, your tag is wonderful, love every detail
Anna said…
Love the Steampunk corset!!! Great take on Tim's card!
Lin said…
Beautiful work, Arnoldo! Love how well the embossing shows on your tag! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at the Simon Says Stamp challenge this week!
Marlena M. said…
Your work, as well as your heart is beautiful Arnoldo! You create in so many inspiring ways~Keep on shining~
Francesca said…
Great tag for tim's january tag. lovethe metal corset. Francesca #75
TwinkleToes2day said…
Visiting from the APR - lovely work as always Arnoldo. It's nice to know the sun is shining on, for & with you :D
Jennifer McLean said…
all your art looks great Arnoldo, the tim Holtz is fab! Thanks for participating.
Joyfulartist said…
I enjoy your posts very much. Love the verses over the photos, I would like to learn how to do that sometime. I always look forward to your posts.
GlorV1 said…
Hi Arnoldo. Wow, great work. Love your tags. Lots of work involved. Interesting too. Thanks for sharing.
Winnie said…
I know I have told you before, but when I read your posts I feel such goodness and I come away with such positive messages. I love your tag, the way you did the corset just blew me away. The use of the metal is great. Your Anel book is coming along so great as well. Enjoy the weekend.
Gloria j Zucaro said…
I love your tag with all its' pieces and various techniques! I also like the bible phrase about treating/feeling about everyone equally, and let God be the judge!
April said…
Oh my goodness! You have been busy busy busy creating beautiful things. :-) Thank you for sharing them.
April #141
indybev said…
Great journal page, Arnoldo. Thanks for sharing with us at Three Muses.
Electra said…
You have such an array of wonderful work here, Arnoldo. Thank you for being a part of our challenge at Opus Gluei, I always love to see your name there!
Candy C said…
Arnoldo..your tag is brilliant! I LOVE the distressed textured background. It is so lovely. Then all of the elements you've collaged on the top are amazing. Love the dress form! It's brilliant! Love the piece of filmstrip ribbon, the compass and the watch face. So beautifully done! Thanks for sharing your work with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy
Anna-Karin said…
Amazing projects! The tag is fabulous. Love the background and the great metal dress form. Have fun with your new Big Shot! Thank you for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show!
Gini said…
Adore your Steampunk dress form so I'm pretending it's pink ;-)
Love your B is for Book pages too!
Thank you for joining us at Opus Gluei :-)
Gini xx
PiaRom said…
Wow you do alot of different things and you do it good :) love all your artsy snippets, especcially the little "B" ;))
Anonymous said…
Bravo! As usual, you never disappoint! :)
bellefrogworks said…
Arnoldo - was so glad to see your name on the PPF list - Your artwork is terrific. The scripture from Micah is one of my favorites. It often quiets my soul when the tribulations come (as they always do). I absolutely love your little book - the illustration is just so sweet. Happy PPF
Mary C. Nasser said…
Wow! Amazing study of Saint Micah!
Such another wonderfully prolific week for you again!
♥♥♥
Happy PPF!!
Mary
Mixed-Media Map Art
Lori said…
Wow. I absolutely love everything I have seen so far. I can't wait to have a few extra minutes so I can come back and explore your blog some more.

Sorry I am 2 days late getting to your blog. I have been battling a nasty flu bug.
Lori #84
Netty said…
Terrific selection of work. Loving your tag with its brilliant dress form and the wonderful sketch you made. Happy PPF, Annette
carol l mckenna said…
You are abundantly blessed with wonderful creativity ~ Each one is lovely and stylized as only you can do ^_^

(A Creative Harbor) ^_^
Leovi said…
Wonderful ... Fantastic compositions, I really like that label. Greetings.
Lessandra said…
Great post Arnoldo. Wonderful drawing of prophet Micah.
Anonymous said…
Absolutely super tag! I love Your quick drawing and quote for 3M. It could be some ancient illustration...Very authentic looking. I have enjoyed looking at all the "B" tags. God bless.
Currie Silver said…
BEautiful work, Arnoldo!!
Currie Silver said…
lovely again, Arnoldo!! this time from APR#40 ;~D
Anonymous said…
Love the Tim inspired tag!!!
Anonymous said…
You are very talented! And I love the quotes!
Ivy said…
Wonderful post, thanks so much sharing your work! Happy PPF!
Great artwork here. I especially like your collaged tag! Thank you for sharing your work with Photo Art Friday, Arnoldo.
A lot of Art here. Fun to be so diversified. Love your book you are illustrating. I love Children's books, the Art work has always called to me. I hope you get it published.
Anne Manda said…
Wonderful work Arnoldo, it is wonderful how many-sided your talent is! Love that first piece, really interesting!
Gemiel said…
What a great smorgasbord!!! Love that you used Alpha and Omega on your digital collage for Word Art Wednesday. The steampunk tag is wonderful as are your illustrations. Your art is such a blessing!
Nicky said…
Wow so many stunning projects thanks for sharing - I am not sharing a desk as away from home looking after my friends cattery but enjoying having a good look around everyone else's desk
minnemie said…
Beautiful! And te character in your book s so cute!!!
Ida said…
You are very talented. Fun and Funky tag you created.
I love the piece for PAF with the waterfall. That one would look fabulous framed.
Just pinned this beauty! Gorgeous take on Tim's tag, and love love love your Art Journal sketch! Fabulous!
AM Zafaran said…
wow! Lovely tag and tons and tons of creativity! It is a treat to visit you! Thank you so much for your comments!
Ritu Dua said…
Lovely creations ...I specially love that tag ...the little details add to the charm :)
Alicia C said…
What wonderful pieces! Am very impressed with the saint who manages to look so Byzantine
Linda Kunsman said…
wow-so many beautiful creations here! I think you've mastered Tim Holtz' style-fabulous tag!! the digitals are so soothing...happy PPF!
Karin said…
beautiful creations!
I love your tag. I've heard of Tim Holtz before but don't know much about it. I should check it out! :)

Thank you for sharing your art and always lifting us up! Happy SS!
WrightStuff said…
I love Tim's stuff - so much scope for creativity - just like you've done. Great job!!
Sandra said…
This is amazing! Love your gorgeous take on Tim's tag! Love that the dress form has a steampunky dress on! Fabulous! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. Hugs, Sandra
time is going fast,I have started three art works and finished none,so you are doing well,aren't you?
Chubskulit Rose said…
Awesome projects you have in line.

Hopping from Mandarin Orange Monday.
Bow and Arrow
Have a great week ahead.
lorik said…
You are so creative and productive as well! Thank you for sharing it on Mandarin Orange Monday:) And thank you for the birthday wishes:)
Giggles said…
Wonderful steam punk piece and thanks for sharing your process!!

Hugs Giggles
Janny said…
So much to see, great work!
stefanie stark said…
You are so creative and I am always surprised and curious what I will find next on your blog. The tag looks awesome! The technique is great!
annie said…
I love this entire post! So full of wisdom!
Faye said…
Arnoldo, your artwork is very beautiful and is a blessing to all.
Wow, your tag is amazing!! Love your techniques here. I have a friend creating a steampunk Christmas tree to donate to our Chilren's hospital fundraiser for 2013 and I just may create one of these dress forms for her tree. Thanks for the inspiration and lovely work for WAW!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/
Lorraine said…
like the St Micah page
Rosemary said…
God bless you, you have so much talent. I love to see what you've created and I really enjoy reading your creative process. Your "B" girl is adorable, That expression, reading is joyous!

Thank you for participating with us at Opus Gluei!
Bella Cirovic said…
Thank you for sharing, Arnold!
Ana K. said…
Even if I don`t comment on every post i admire your work from behind. For me you are amazing artist and I love to "read" you!
Greetings from Slovenia
Agato.Art said…
i like your tag!Greetings from Poland:)