"Lord, Make Me An Instrument of Your Peace."

Hello!  ¡Hola!  I had another one of those weeks with multiple parishioners calling me for pastoral care issues.  But as I always say, pray without ceasing, for God will always answer our prayers with a yes, a no, or an I have a better idea.  So after having multiple prayer chains going with my prayer warriors, all is well.  Deus bonus est!  God is Good!

For my first project, I have one of the Halloween cards I made for my grandsons.  I love the Spellbinder's Classic Mouse cutting dies series, so using various sets, I designed a fox costume for Mickey to wear and a "trick or treat" bag.  For the red & yellow background panels, I used the Sizzix Tim Holtz Leaf and Leaf Texture embossing folders.  I did the faux stitching and the hand lettered sentiment with Copic Fine Nib Inking Pens.  The boys will be here for Halloween this year, so I'm looking forward to that!  I was inspired by Freshly Made Sketches #756 by Kim, Paper Rock Scissors October #21, and Color Dare #723.  (BTW, thanks for selecting me as the Emerald Winner for Color Dare Challenge #720!)

Next, I have a quick watercolor and pen landscape I did on bamboo pulp tissue paper, which I then glued onto a page in one of my art journals.  This was a very relaxing piece, as I was just trying to get the feel of an autumn car ride in a mountainous area.  I was inspired by Try It On Tuesday - Autumn Beauty, Art Journal Journey - Beautiful World theme by Mia, and Everybody Art Challenge #607 - Add Some Purple.

This is another one of my pencil portrait exercises from Ana Santos' book.  As I said earlier, I had a busy week, so I did this young lady's portrait today after church.  I'm pleased with most of her facial features, and feel she has some resemblance to the reference picture.  However, I needed to work on elongating her face.  Regardless, I enjoyed the process, so that's what matters, right?  I am linking this to Art For Fun Friday, What's On Your Workdesk? Wednesday, and Friday Face Off.

🍺 - T Is For Tuesday
🍻 - Mosaic Monday
🐱 - Saturday's Critters
⛪ - My Sunday Best and Life Captured - Home Page Linkup #8

The pictures above are my this, that, and the other collection for the week.  The 1st picture🍺 is of a 512 Oktoberfest beer from a 6-pack my oldest daughter gave me for Father's Day.  According to the 512 Brewery, which is in Austin, Texas, they were "built to supply central Texans with a locally brewed beer in the American style developed from English, Belgian and occasionally German beer styles."  I liked the beer so well, that when we were in Austin, we went with my daughter and her boyfriend to enjoy a beer at the brewery's patio (2nd picture🍻) The 3rd picture🐱 is of my cats Sammy and Gris, who love napping in my art studio/home office.  The 4th picture⛪ is of one of the porticos at my church, during a recent evening.  I felt the B&W version was perfect to add this first line from the prayer attributed to St. Francis.

In closing, I want to leave you with a summary of my sermon for today, based on Matthew 21:33-46:

Today's the Feast of St. Francis, who's life's prayer was to become an instrument of God’s peace, through selflessness, forgiveness, and all-inclusive love.  That seems to be the underlying purpose of the "Parable of the Wicked Tenants."  In the parable, Jesus tells us that a landowner had planted a vineyard, leased it to tenants, and gone to another country.  After 5 years, the landowner sends his slaves to collect his produce from the vineyard, but the tenants do away with them.  The Landowner sends a second group of slaves, but the tenants do away with them too.  Finally, the Landowner sends his own son, thinking they'll respect him, but the tenants kill him.  The landowner represents God, and the tenants represent humanity.  The issue in the parable is that the tenants forgot we're stewards of God's vineyard, not the owners.  God entrusted us with the vineyard, which represents the world, so that we can care for his creation, care for those in need, and spread the Word of God.  That's the produce in the parable.  Jesus (the son) died for our sins, so we can focus on the work to be done.  Therefore, like St. Francis, we need to pray to be instruments of God's peace, so that we can bear fruit in his vineyard.  However, not for ourselves, but to serve God.

Thanks for visiting!  ¡Gracias por visitarme!  Please leave a comment, and I'll be glad to reciprocate, so that we can get to know each other.

Shalom,

Arnoldo+

Comments

  1. Mickey is adorable. LOVE the "stitching." You did a superb job. The bag is fantastic and the colors are perfect for autumn.

    Speaking of autumn, your journal drawing is amazing. I love the bit of purple you added and the other colors work perfectly, too. This is a great entry for Mia's theme at AJJ. Thanks for sharing.

    Your pencil portrait is great. I actually like your image better because she looks more Hispanic. Happy SITAR and Sunday Smiles with that face.

    Sounds and looks like you enjoy your Oktoberfest beer. Great photos and both perfect for T this Tuesday.

    Both my cats are indoor, but they also wear collars. Nice to see yours do, too.

    What a charming black and white photo of the portico of your church. Lovely tribute to St. Francis. Thanks for sharing part of your sermon, and the parable, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, and know I will reciprocate. Please be aware that all comments are moderated. Blessings!

Popular Posts