It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas!

Ever since I was a child growing up in Mexico, I have loved Christmas.  In honor of this most important holiday, I plan to feature pictures of the various vignettes and assemblages I created in my home during my next couple of postings.  Since Poinsettias are native to Mexico, I'll begin with a picture of the fresh pot of "Noche Buenas" that is currently sitting in my front porch.


In Mexico, Santa Claus was not a major character in the 1960's - and still isn't in some areas.  In addition, my father was a Bishop in the Episcopal Church, so my holiday revolved around the celebration of the birth of our Saviour Jesus Christ.  However, my mother was from the United States, so Santa was part of her culture.  Since her father had a Santa collection, I inherited a couple of them.  Therefore, now I have my own little collection, which I feature on my formal dining room buffet.


As I have mentioned before, I love vintage items as well as antiques, and enjoy finding new ways to use them.  For about 5 years now, I've been placing this Coca-Cola crate on its side and filling the bottle nooks with miniature ornaments, figurines, and other item.  This year I'm featuring primarily wooden figurines, but I also have a couple of vintage Japanese porcelain figures from the 50's and a "loteria" (Mexican Bingo) matchbox that a friend gave me.  To enhance the assemblage, I added a German smoker, a bottle brush tree, and a spool of miniature tinsel garland from Anthropologie.  This buffet is in the den/breakfast area, so I also have a tea set next to it.


In another area of the Den, I have a curio cabinet.  The St. Nicholas, whom Santa Claus evolved from, is the first icon I wrote.  To allude to the icon's evolvement, I added a German plate and mug for Santa's cookies and milk.  I also have an old tree display which holds some of my miniature Nativity scenes - one of which was made by my oldest daughter.  On the background is an outline of St. James Episcopal Church, my home parish in Del Rio, which was done by a good friend of mine.



The last picture I'm featuring in this posting, is of a miniature nativity scene that my parents purchased for me when they were in Spain back in the 1980's.  I placed it inside a brass and glass stable that I purchased in Mexico, and nestled it next to some wooden tree cut outs that another good friend of mine made a few years ago.  The Adam and Eve in the background is one of my original paintings, which is titled "Good vs. Evil."  I hope you've enjoyed this initial tour, and that you join me again next week.  Blessings!

Comments

Adri Munhoz said…
I just loved the initial tour, and I'm looking forward to the next.
Thank you, Adri. Together with my oldest daughter, who just got home for Christmas from her university, we'll be working on the Christmas tree this weekend. My youngest daughter enjoys decorating for Christmas too, but doesn't get into it as much as we do. She's not as detailed as we are - LOL! However, they both enjoy opening boxes and reminiscing about when we got the ornaments.