Lent through the Eyes of the Artist

Yesterday, Sunday, February 27, 2012, was the wine & cheese opening reception for the "Lent through the Eyes of the Artist" art exhibit, at the Cathedral House Gallery, in San Antonio, Texas.  There are nine artists from West Texas represented, and we were all asked to write a reflective statement.  The following is what I wrote:
Reflection, Prayer and Painting, this is what lent is to me as an artist.  It is a time to reflect on what I've done or left on done.  It is a time to pray and thank the Lord for all His blessings, which I know I do not deserve.  I know I need Him as my creator, saviour and redeemer.  Through my painting, I feel I ask for forgiveness and know I'm purified and renewed to live a life of servitude.

I am featuring three of my original art pieces.  Although they are all religious icons, I used mixed media and collage techniques to make them.  As you can see in the following picture, they are quite colorful too - it's a cultural thing!


One of my new pieces is titled I Need You Now, and it's a Christ.  I was inspired by a traditional Russian icon, and started off by sketching what I wanted to do.  I started off by writing a prayer on my artboard, before adding a watercolor background.  Next, I sketched out my picture in pencil and inked it using a paintbrush.  Then, I built up the face of Christ with layers of pastel.  To finish it off, I added some gold acrylic paint to the halo and also used it to write the Greek abbreviation for "Jesus Christ."


I was very pleased with the results, and got a lot of positive feedback during the exhibit from guests from all over West Texas.  The painting process was truly spiritual.  God willing it will also bring in financial rewards - LOL!


The exhibit will be open to the public Monday through Fridays, from 9 am to 5 pm, through April 5, 2012.  The gallery is located at the Episcopal Diocese of West Texas - Jones Center, at 111 Torcido Drive, San Antonio, TX 78209.  You may call the offices for more information at (210 or 888) 824-5387.  Blessings!

Comments