Whoop! Summer 2013

It is here!  Summer has officially started for me, since yesterday I officially checked out of my classroom at school.  Therefore, I'm dedicating this post to the Summer of 2013.


This first piece is a response to my blogging friend Pia Rom's Mix it Monthly - May/June Yellow Vintage Girl Goes Picasso challenge.  Pablo Picasso, the Spanish artist who is considered the father of collage in fine art, is one of my favorite artists because of the diversity in styles, media and techniques in his body of work.  I was inspired by his guitar collages where he combined paper scraps and line drawings in his compositions, to illustrate this piece.  I used Tim Holtz tissue for the background and a print of Pia's Picasso to cut the accessories.  The drawing was done using micron pens, Caran d'Ache artist crayons, and Stickles.  I am also submitting this page to Eva and Kristin's Paint Party Friday - Week 14/Year 3Jen Price's In the Studio, Alexandra's Sunday Sketches, and Ramona's Inspire Me Monday - Week 76.



This second piece is an art journal reflection of what a home is to me, it "feeds the body, regenerates the mind, and warms the soul."  I couldn't find a quote that said everything I wanted, so I wrote this on my own.  I illustrated it by cutting free hand scraps of hand painted paper that I had in my stash, as well as print scraps from the previous project.  (I thought the negative stem shapes left behind from a previous project added a nice touch to my trees.  LOL!)  I added the hand lettering and line work with a micron pen and marker.  I am submitting this art journal page to Art Journal Journey 06/2013 ~ Home, Jennifer McLean's Artist Playroom #61 - Bizarre, Take a Word Challenge: - Cool ColorsWord Art Wednesday #84, and Manon's Paper Saturdays.


This third piece, titled Wendy's Wonderful Wagon, is my contribution to Tag Tuesday - Letter W.  I wrote a little alliteration piece to go with it - Welcome!  This is Wee Wendy Welsh, Who's Wistfully Waiting for Whitney, Who Whispered she'd come Wander around With her in her Wonderful Wagon, on Wednesday.  Anyway, I began by drawing the little girl in the wagon on an ATC sized card using micron pens, Prismacolor watercolor pencils, and markers, as well as aging it using a Tim Holtz distress ink pad.  I made the tag frame out of a K&Company Spring print and a scrap of plastic packaging using the Tim Holtz vintage cabinet card, mini cabinet, and punch dies, as well as the stripes embossing folder.  I embellished the tag with a Tim Holtz Philosophy tag, tiny staples, ribbons, fibers, and vintage buttons.  I am submitting this tag to Simon Says Stamp and Show - Button Challenge and Simon Says Stamp Challenge - Transport.


This fourth photograph is for What's On Your Workdesk? Wednesday 210.  You can see my art journal opened to the fashion illustration page I posted on June 1st, as well as a page I used to stamp, doodle, and practice some of my lettering.  It features a portion of the passage from Proverbs 14:26, "His children shall have a place of refuge."  That's what my home and studio are to me.  I transformed the photograph into a coloring page using the ToonPaint app in my iPhone.  You have the option of using the digital brushes in the app to color the drawing, but I chose to simply add an orange layer over it.  I am also submitting this photograph to Orange You Glad It's Friday #42 and Mandarin Orange Monday #46.



The sirloin fajita steak in this photograph is for 52 Photos Project: Gallery 8 {Stripes}, which are formed in the grill.  I took the photograph when I was cooking out a couple of weeks ago.  I like to rub the fajitas with some seasoning, and then have them marinate in Mexican beer and lime for several hours.  I cook them in a closed barbecue grill for several minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the steak.  Then, I bring them in, let them rest for a couple of minutes, slice them into strips, and put them in a warm oven until I'm ready to serve them.  They are delicious in corn or flour tortillas with grilled onions, my pico de gallo chopped salsa, and smashed avocados.

I hope you enjoyed my tribute to Summer.  I also want to thank all of you that left such kind comments in my last post, as well as to those who are following me.  You don't know how much the latter blesses me and encourages me to continue creating.  As you may have noticed, I strongly believe in returning the favor by leaving a message in your blog as well, if I haven't already done so.  May your Summer be filled with blessings!  ¡Que su verano sea lleno de bendiciones!

Comments

What a colorful post! So glad you are out of school, to have a fun filled and hopefully artful summer!
Love your pieces and the lady up top is SUPER!!!!! The home speaks volumes about your wonderful family, and love the letter W and all your wonderful words and buttons embellies! Thanks for buttoning up with us this week here at Simon Says Stamp & Show!!!
Martha said…
WOW, you are one talented and productive artist! I saw your lovely wagon creation entry at Simon Says, which led me to your wonderful blog. I love all you've shared here.
Happy summer!
PiaRom said…
You made my day with your fresh and colorful "vintage-picasso-work"...can´t get the grin out of my face :) I love the accesoires and that you draw her on that black and white script background, so she poppes out with those colors...the other pieces are gorgeous too of course...love especcially the happy home :) ♥♥♥ Thank you so much for participate on Mix It Monthly

xox
Conny
Jez said…
Lovely creations Arnoldo, as always. Home is certainly best, and you have epitomised the feelings for home perfectly. And I do love little Wendy on her Wee Wagon, Waiting Wistfully for What Will come.
jill said…
What fun projects on your desk, & the steak looks mouth watering . Happy crafting & sorry i'm late with woyww . Jill #28
Leovi said…
Preciosas creaciones, y para alimentar la imaginación una rica carne a la parrilla con un buen vino! Saludos.
Currie Silver said…
I love the diversity and sense of fun here, Arnoldo!! It's such a wondrous feeling when summer BEgins. enJOY every BEautimous second!!
Wonderful creations, love spacially your fabulous Picasso tribute. He was a magnificent blessed artist!
Hugs Anja
Paula (PEP) said…
I like your punched out negative branches midst the tree crowns but what really caught my eye is your incrediblele lettering in the fourth photo. Hope you have a good summer break.
Paula (PEP)
Lunch Lady Jan said…
I like your tribute to Summer! Your artwork is wonderful and the steaks look sublime! However, it is the fact than your home is your refuge that spoke to me...I love my home, I feel safe, happy and blessed here :-)
Hugs, LLJ 39 xxx
okienurse said…
Awesome post! Love all the colorful projects you share in the tribute to summer and I wish I could have been there for the fajitas! Yum! Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a great week! Vickie #26
Candy C said…
Arnoldo...Yay for Summer! I hope yours is a really fun one...and it doesn't go by too quickly before school starts again! :) Your pieces you've posted are wonderful. Love the Picaso lady at the top. So colorful. Your center piece with the house is really intriguing. I love the different scraps of paper you've chosen and how you cut and arranged them into such a neat design. Very mosaic looking. Your ATC with the little girl you've drawn and colored in the wagon is really cute. Love your use of all of the buttons to embellish the top of the tag. Thanks so much for sharing your art with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy
Your art is always amazing, and it speaks to me every time I see one of your new creations. While I love all three of these, my favorite is the third. It takes me back to my childhood when we would play in our shiny new Radio Flyer (I remember the day Dad bought it for us). 1969 Arnoldo! I'm getting old. Yikes!
Thanks for sharing in our challenge. Your art is SUCH a blessing to me and I appreciate having you share!
Karen
Word Art Wednesday
Faye said…
Great post, and so much to see! I love the piece about home. The saying is certainly true.
Stephanie said…
I really enjoy seeing your work. Your piece on "Home" is so comforting and says *home* to me too. Thanks so much for your faithful support of Word Art Wednesday.
Salla said…
The yellow vintage/Picasso lady is really cool! Looks like a challenge I might want to join, too, if I have time!
just AWESOME! I love your vintage girl and your HOME page ..
both is fab Arnoldo!

I wish a happy schoolfree time...
may your holidays be happy !
xxx Susi

thank you for taking part on our Art Journal Journey trip!
Rika said…
Wonderful art journal page,
so many details to look at.
maria said…
All are beautiful Arnoldo. The steak made my mouth water. :)

Have a great weekend.
sheila 77 said…
If I commented on all the marvellous details I see here, it would be a very long comment! Vintage girl - love how you have painted her on text, that really brings her out. Home - this is exquisite with the way you have used your beautiful papers. Wendy and her wonderful wagon are such fun. I do like reading the details of how you made each piece and the materials you used.
Winnie said…
Happy kick off to summer for you! She is so wonderful! I love your collage work on both of your pieces. Not sure if you know, but if you ever get to Paris, there is a museum dedicated to Picaso in the Marais. It is closed until year end,but you never know you may want that info. I only got to Paris once, and there were so many to see.
Valerie-Jael said…
Beautiful work with lots of gorgeous details. Valerie
Mary C. Nasser said…
Really drawn to that first portrait...and the patterns, designs, and colors within it! Reminds me of Pop Art! :)
♥♥♥
Happy PPF!!
Mary
Mixed-Media Map Art
Esme said…
what a great tribute to summer-what are your summer plans-I am assuming you teach art in a high school. You have me inspired to try-but I must admit this is not where my creativity lays.
Ivy said…
Love your piece for MixItMonthly, it's beautiful! HPPF!
Sharon Wagner said…
You are one scrappy artist! Scrappy, not crappy. As in you use scraps and we all have to be a little inventive and stick to it. Or what ever being scrappy means.
Netty said…
Loving the diversity of your works Arnoldo, you have great talent.
Happy PPF, Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/
Christine said…
what wonderful contributions this week! Just lovely responses to all the challenges!
Linda Kunsman said…
fabulous summer tribute -and so much gorgeous art too. I don't know how you possibly manage to link to so many challenges-wow! Happy PPF, and thank you for visiting my blog and leaving such a thoughtful comment :)
Zana said…
I am hard put to say which piece I like best, um the home one! Great work have a great summer.
Anne Manda said…
Love your collage, wonderful piece! Really love the way you used the patterned paper, cool! Your home page is beautiful!
Jen Price said…
Happy Summer break! That piece of the woman is stunning! Wow!
Patrice said…
Woo Hoo - Welcome summer!!! I hope you'll link up at 52 Card Pickup this week!

http://www.oldbackporch.com/2013/06/52-card-pickup-224.html
GlorV1 said…
Arnoldo, your posts are always full of fun. Lots of happines and I totally agree with your quote about what home does. Your tribute to summer is wonderful. Love your drawings and here's wishing you a great vacation.
Anonymous said…
Great tribute to summer, I will say I love your home piece so much, and that steak looks darn good. Enjoy your school break. I am sure you will be creating up a storm. Happy PPF xox
lorik said…
I like the orange glow and subdued tones of work desk pic. Looks busy and interesting too:) Thank you for sharing on Mandarin Orange Monday:) And for your comments:)
peggy gatto said…
I love your colorful style and your collage art!
Tracey FK said…
When I was teaching I used to love those first few days of summer break so much... it is a great feeling knowing the break is stretching ahead of you... and looking forward to seeing what you create over the summer with more time on your hands... you are already so productive.... and would you believe we are having steak fajitas tonight... how is that for freaky...xx
Prairie Jill said…
Love those stripes!
Barb Cady said…
What a fabulous summery offering your post is! I love the home page, now that you are on holiday I hope you have a wonderful creative rest at home, recharging your batteries! The steak looks delicious, have a lovely summer Arnoldo with your family. X
Deepa Gopal said…
Lovely creations! Loved the Picasso mix...
Have a Great Weekend :)
denthe said…
I love your take on Mix it Monthly. And that collage of a home is so sweet....
bellefrogworks said…
I am always soul filled by your posts and your art - this time I may get stomach filled as well - have to try that steak fajita. You always amaze me with your different pieces of art - and inspire me as well to keep trying new techniques and materials.
Melanie said…
You made a lot of beautyful peaces. Love the house for paper saterday a lot. So nice with al the colours.
Have anice weekend.
Liefs, Melanie
April said…
Such beautiful pieces of art. Congrats on your holiday after the school year. Love the 'home' theme. And that tab with Wendy's Wagon is too pretty to be a tag. ;-)
April #110
Karin said…
beautiful creations, love your take on the mix it montly!
have a nice weekend!
Groetjes Karin
manomij said…
Oh yes summer is here for me and the family too! Love the colours you have used for today's post! It makes me feel very sunny indeed. Thank you for sharing this in Paper Saturdays!
Blessings ManonX
sharon said…
Love all of these, perhaps your take on Mix it Up, have been working on my take for that this afternoon. That steak looks juicy! Have a great summer and create lots of eye candy for us to feast our eyes on. Blessings to you and your family.
Giggles said…
Wow I love your yellow vintage girl!! And I'll be right over for fajitas...yum!! You've accomplished a lot.... hope you manage a good chunk of time creating this summer!! Be sure to rest and revitalize!! Happy Father Day to you too!!

Hugs Giggles
AM Zafaran said…
Lovely creations! Love the home and picasso work! Have a great summer!
Wonderful pieces of artwork. I LOVE how you created the hat and glove on your first one. :) And yeah for you - SUMMER TIME!!! Enjoy it!
Alex said…
Just a big fat WOW for the vintage lady! I love how you created her.

You Home-theme is also gorgeous, I like your thoughts too.

Wendy is fun, I like her.
I love the gloves and 'hat' on the girl in yellow. The detailing on the cuffs of the gloves with the black netting on the palm is fantastic. And each art piece is so different and interesting.
The grilled meat was a a bit of a surprise and left me feeling even hungrier than I already was. Haha!!
Happy Father's Day!
Anonymous said…
Mouth watering!!! Happy Summer!
Lorraine said…
love what you have done with the vintage girl photo and those steaks are making me hungry..they are so expensive over here. happy ppf
Salla said…
Hello again, Arnoldo and thank your your nice comments at
my blog!
Lisabella Russo said…
Very sweet work, the colors are so soft and pretty! Happy summer to you!
Heather said…
All fabulous creations - as usual Arnoldo, your tag is fantastic - a stunning image and such gorgeous details!!!

Thanks so much for joining Simon Says Stamp challenge
hugs
Heather xx
Such fabulous art! I love that vintage yellow girl. :)
Anna-Karin said…
Beautiful post! I love the piece about your home. Have a lovely summer! Thank you for sharing your button ideas with us this week at Simon Says Stamp and Show!
Ritu Dua said…
Lovely work and very very creative too...The home is my favorite of all...the vintage girl is awesome too !
Meihsia Liu said…
Wow... all your creations are fantastic! I especially love the bright colors on your first project. Such beautiful summer colors :)
Rita said…
Your artwork is great and the steaks have made me hungry! :)
Mandy said…
Fabulous creations Arnoldo, I love the addition of all the buttons.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp
hugs
Mandy xx
Annemor said…
Oh yes. I enjoyed your tribute to summer.
But pick one and say"This is the best, fro me". No way. Can't.
Best whishes.
Mormor

http://www.starbear.no/mormor/2013/06/17/mandarin-orange-monday-46/
Liz said…
Beautiful work. Happy MOM.

Mine are here and here.
Ana K. said…
Hello Arnoldo...here I am again admiring your posts...these are all fantastic creations!!! Especially I love your drawings, they are amazing!! I just wish to have such a talent...
Hugs from Slovenia!
Create With Joy said…
I love your art! Thanks for joining us for Inspire Me Monday at

Create With Joy
http://create-with-joy.com
stefanie stark said…
Hi Arnoldo, I've just discovered your post and would like to say that I love your HOME-collage! This is such a beautiful and warm-hearted picture! Wonderful! The lade turned out lovely as well.