El Que La Hace, La Paga

 We had floods in the State of Texas last week, which damaged many homes and resulted in at least 2 deaths.  They weren't as severe in Del Rio and the surrounding areas, but we are praying and doing our best to help those affected.  I've spent time assessing the situation here, to provide financial help through the church to a few needy families whose homes were affected.

For my first project, I have a watercolor of a hydrangea that I did for a dear friend of my wife and mine, who's a gardener.  She lost her husband last week, and asked me to officiate during his funeral.  They had been members of our church, so one of my parishioners asked if I could make a card for all of us to sign.  I am submbmitting this card to Inspired By Hydrangeas #IB397, AUD Sentiments Challenge #339 Hobbies + Sentiment, Try It On Tuesday Summer Blooms, and Word Art Wednesday Weeks #762/763.

 
    

                 

Next, I have a card I made just for fun.  I made a Kawaii popsicle with scraps of paper; old EK Success corner & heart punches; an old Martha Stewart Drippy Goo Edge Punch; googly eyes; a mini popsicle stick; and markers.  The background and sentiment were done with scraps of paper; a Kscraft ATC die; & Sizzix Tim Holtz Alphanumeric Cutout Thinlits.  I used a Lzbrdy bumble bee die for the finishing touch.  I am submitting this to The Dream Factory Challenge #152 - Beekeeper (Thanks for the Top 3); Shopping Our Stash SOS578 Popsicle (Thanks for the Top 3);  I Spy With My Little Eye Something with Wings (Challenge No. 39); Atlantic Hearts Sketch #69 by Michelle.

The Jesus line drawing above was done with China Markers and Watercolors.  It's another exercise from the Playing With Sketches book by Whitney Sherman that I'm reading.  I love the exercises, because they're open ended, so I'm free to take off in any direction intuitively.  I am submitting this to What's on Your Workdesk? Wednesday 894/114, Friday Face Off 07/24/2026, and Mosaic Monday No. 198.

Saturday Critters #658
T Stands For Tuesday 07/20/2026 & My Sunday Best #491

               

I took these last 2 pictures at Mesquite CreeK Outfitters, here in Del Rio, Texas.  This is a casual, but nice place to get together with family and friends to have a drink.  My wife and I like go there occasionally, especially if we have guests from out of town.

In closing, I want to leave you with a summary of my sermon for last Sunday, based on Matthew 13:24-30,36-43:

“El que la hace, la paga.” I grew up listening to this Spanish proverb, which is the equivalent of "you reap what you sow."  At first glance, these proverbs seem to support the parable of the wheat and weeds, but not as we'd expect.  Jesus compares the world to a place where both good and evil coexist.  He says that at the end of the age, the righteous will be separated from the wicked.  But why until then?  It seems that Jesus is more interested in growth than extermination.  First of all, he wants us to learn to forgive the weeds in our lives, just as he forgave us.  Secondly, he may also be wanting to give the evildoers time to repent and redeem themselves.  Remember, the Gospels are countercultural, they make us think, and they always challenge us.  So, forgive, serve your neighbors, and love like Jesus loved us.  That’s how our wheat roots  disentangle themselves from the weeds, and may help the weeds be transformed into wheat.

Thanks for visiting!  ¡Gracias por su visita!  Please leave a comment, and I'll be glad to reciprocate, so we can get to know each other.

Shalom,

Arnoldo+

Comments

Helen said…
the sympathy card with the hydrangea is beautiful. happy WOYWW Helen #1
Lunch Lady Jan said…
Your sympathy card with the hydrangea is really lovely and will comfort the lady I’m sure. I was impressed by the three olive cocktail too! One olive just isn’t enough…..lol!!
Hugs LLJ 3 xx
Lynnecrafts said…
It was kind of you to share your card with the bereaved, it’s a lovely card, too.
Happy WOYWW
Lynnecrafts 8 xx
CJ Kennedy said…
You cards and artwork are beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Happy T Day
Barb Finnical said…
Reverend Arnoldo, this is such a beautiful post! I absolutely love your sketch of Jesus, and your sermon highlights are a wonderful reminder of how we need to live our best Christian life. On the silly side, the one thing that intrigues me the most about this post is your “drippy goo” edge punch. That looks so fun to work with! That popsicle is absolutely adorable! But of course, I think the star of this whole post is the hydrangea that you have painted. That is absolutely stunning! If I could paint like that, I probably would not stamp! 😅 Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful talents with us over at Word Art Wednesday! We love seeing the amazing things that you create!
Gillena Cox said…
Some lovely art and inspirations
My image is #1

much love
Praying for all affected by the floods. Thank you for all your good works.

I like the sermons at the end of your posts. Have you considered submitting an article to The Christian Lounge?

https://thechristianlounge4u.blogspot.com/

enquiries@holyvisions.co.uk

God bless you.
Hi Arnoldo, I'm a bit late today as I had a few jobs to do. I love your Hydranea, I grow these and they do really well in our garden though they have suffered a bit with the lack of rain. As you know we either have too much or not enough rain unfortunately. Thanks for the sermon too, beautiful words. Have a great week, hugs Angela x10x
dj said…
That popsicle card...EEK...love it!! So glad you played along with our Popsicle Color challenge over at Shopping Our Stash. Way to go shopping YOUR stash for our color challenge.
Deb Horst, DT #SOS578
Ellibelle said…
The popsicle card is so cute and a great design, thank you so much for sharing it at "I spy with my little eye" challenge. The hydrangea watercolored card is gorgeous too, I am sure it was so appreciated. And a great sketch of Jesus, love the colorful background.
Kyla said…
oh some lovely makes. Yes, the weather was awful and I know my friend in West Virginia area this week has had awful storms, stay safe and enjoy the art time. Kyla
Your art is always a pleasure to see! My particular favourites in this post are the lovely watercolour hydrangea and your line drawing of Jesus.
Elizabeth said…
Hello Arnoldo, your sympathy card is beautiful and reminds me if my recent visit to Mount Stuart where hydrangeas grow uninhibited exuberance. The ice lolly card is a very clever use of punches - particularly the drippy one! Have a good week. Elizabeth #14
So sorry to hear about the floods.
Wonderful cards. Love the drawing of Jesus.
I read about the devastating floods and it was fortunate that you were able to help out with those hard hit by the storms. Sorry to read of your wife's friend losing her husband a=but your card was lovely and surely will be appreciated. The popsicle art was a fun creation.
BJ said…
Sorry to hear about the floods and your friend's loss. Gorgeous hydrangea painting - had to google kawaii and amazed I hadn't heard of it from my son has he has a thing for Japanese culture. Super Jesus drawing China markers indeed! Hugs Bj#7
ukmaryanne said…
Happy weekend after WOYWW!
So sad about the flooding - flood and fire, they are bot so destructive - hard to salvage much fro either so your card was much appreciated I'm sure.Love the patchwork piece, very cool concept. I was also really taken with your trio of fishes that popped up at the bottom. 2013! Still, it's super cool.
Mary Anne (5)
Sarah Brennan said…
That's a beautiful sympathy card Arnoldo. Sorry to hear about the flooding and the loss of your friend's husband. Stay safe and happy WOYWW. Sarah
Gillena Cox said…
Happy Friday Rev
My Link Party today is
HERE

Much love
Christine said…
Lovely art. So sorry about the floods
I noticed your hydrangea card linked up to TIOT, but I figured I would wait until Friday to stop by. That way I can also wish you a wonderful weekend. I saw int he news about those floods. They look frightening. However, none of your art is frightening. It is all very lovely this week. Thanks for linking the beautiful hydrangea card up to TIOT. And thanks for the smiles from your Kawii popsicle card. It's a lot of fun. And your drawing is beautiful also. I hope you have a great weekend ahead and Happy early T day to you also.
DVArtist said…
I'm sorry to read about your friend's husband. Very nice she asked you to officiate. The card is beautiful and I know made from your heart. I have several family members who reside in Texas and thankfully didn't get to hurt by the flooding. I know that your church will help where it can. I honestly didn't realize that the Popsicle was made from paper. Very well done my friend. I do love that last one your created. The decorated cow skulls are amazing. I used to create with a lot of sculls and bones. OMGosh is that a martini? Mr. M. and I were talking last night about me never have had one. LOL Lovely sermon too. Thank you so much for sharing with FFO and have a very nice weekend.
The Sympathy card is wonderful ~ so elegant in its simplicity ~ lovely and creative post ~ lots of healing energy hugs for those impacted by the floods ~ Be safe ~ Hugs ^_^
Carola Bartz said…
Years ago we sometimes would go out with friends for drinks, usually in a cocktail bar downtown. It was always fun, but we haven't done that in a long time. The last time I was in a really nice bar for cocktails was in NYC in 2019. I like your cards, especially the first one. This is a beautiful and special sympathy card.
Lisca said…
What a beautiful sympathy card! It will be appreciated I'm sure.
The popsicle looks afraid it might be eaten.... I made some popsicles the other day with an overripe mango. I think I will get one out of the freezer now and eat it.
I love seeing your cocktail. I never make cocktails but I have a friend who does. I can never have one when I go down to their house as I have to drive (and living out in the stick, there are no taxis available).
Yes, I know that proverb. They say it here too. Thank you for the mini sermon.
Greetings from sunny Spain,
Happy Friday
Lisca
Tom said…
...rain is such a necessary part of life, too little is a disaster and too much is too! If you ever need a designated driver, I'm your man, I drink my water on the rocks though. I wish you a wonderful week and peace be with you.
Gene Black said…
Hay un tiempo para todo. Lluvia y sol.
I love your popcicile (la paleta de helado) I recently bought a pack of Mini Helados de Mexico from the freezer in Walmart. They really taste like the ones I ate in Mexico - Yum!
Tammy said…
I came to tell you how much I love your popsicle card! But, after reading your sermon, I wanted to say thank you for the reminder!
Your art is so pretty. Hydrangeas are my favorite flower and you've used some of my favorite colors too. Very nice! Hugs, Diane
"love like Jesus loved us' ....that is a beautiful way to live our lives. I appreciated your sermon this week. Hugs, Diane
eileeninmd said…
Hello, Arnoldo
I am so sorry about the floods, I am glad you were able to help the flood victims. Your sympathy card with the hydrangea is lovely.
The popsicle card is so cute. I love all your card and art. The skulls are cool, it is nice to meet with friends for a drink.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy week ahead! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.
Viv said…
Hydrangeas are a firm favourite of mine and this watercolour is beautiful. Thanks for joining us at TIOT

Popular Posts