This, That, & The Other

Hello!  ¡Hola!  It's hard to believe, but half the year is gone.
            
In commemoration of the 250th Birthday of the USA, I made this sticky not card using my brand new Paperry Bookbinding Tool.  I repurposed cardboard for the core, and covered it in Ywdbzjhs Retro Patriotic and a scrap of blue striped paper.  In my art stash, I found some old Tim Holtz Alpha Parts Ransom & Newsprint for the title; a Remnant Rubs for the sentiment; a star; and Industrial Stickers.  A Kraft sticky notepad completed my project.  I am submitting this to Colorful Options July 2027, {Pin}spirational Challenge #339 July Red, White and Blue, The Neglected Stuff Challenge July 2026, Never-Before-Used-Schtuff Challenge #888 ~ Mutual Appreciation Celebration!
     
Next, I have my weekly ICAD, based on June 1-July 31 - #37 Origami.  It's a collage using a scrap of rice paper on which I wrote my last name in Katakana, using sumi-e ink; an origami figure I folded; and Simno Dream Blues stickers.  I hand lettered the Japanese proverb as a finishing touch.  I'm also submitting this to Secrets To Stamping Creative Creases #117 Challenge, Path of Positivity Challenge #142 Anything Goes Positive, and What's On Your Workdesk? Wednesday 892/112.
Since Frida Kahlo's DOB is July 6, 1907, I decided to celebrate with the Sunday Postcard Art  birthday postcard challenge, AAA Birthday Game #87 For Girls, and Friday Face Off 07/10/2026.  Frida is a renowned Mexican painter known for her colorful self-portraits that explore themes of identity, Mexican post-colonialism, and gender.  I rendered my portrait of her based on the picture above, where she's holding a pre-Colombian figurine.  I used Conté pastels and Tombow colored pencils.  I'm not crazy over her likeness, but I do believe I captured her spirit.
Through My Lens 07/06/2026 & My Sunday Best #489
Word Art Wednesday Weeks 760-761 & Mosaic Monday No. 196
Saturday's Critters #656
                  
         
I took these last four pictures during the week.  The dinner plate is from my family's traditional 4th of July celebration, which included hot dogs, coleslaw, baked beans, deviled eggs, spinach dip, potato chips, Rahr Beer, watermelon, and peach cobbler.  Then, there's the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile, which I spotted at a Kroger's Grocery store in Arlington, Texas.  Next is my Mom, whose 91st Birthday my family and I were blessed to celebrate this past weekend.  Finally, there's a Great Kiskadee, a flycatcher native to the Southern United States down to Argentina.  They hang out by my garden regularly, and are fun to watch.

Thanks for visiting!  ¡Gracias por su visita!  Please leave a message, and I'll be glad to reciprocate, so that we can get to know each other.

Shalom,
Arnoldo+

Comments

Helen said…
you've had a busy week again, glad you enjoyed the July 4 celebrations. Happy WOYWW Helen #1
Lunch Lady Jan said…
Wow your mum is looking amazing for 91! How lovely to spend time with her and celebrate. The Wienermobile made me laugh, only in America eh? Your book to commemorate the 250th Anniversary is excellent as is your tribute to Frida Kahlo, there’s a big exhibition of her work in London at the moment and it’s fantastic apparently.
Hugs LLJ 5 xx
Another busy week for you, pleased the july 4th celebrations went well. I like youe Frida postcard, she was a very special lady. Have a good woyww, hugs Angela x6x
I'd never heard of that bookbinding tool before. You found great paper and I love the photo corner edges.

You have given us another great ICAD. I really like the Japanese inspired art.

You did a fabulous job recreating Frida. This is stunning.

You are so lucky to still have your mother. And your meal looks very 4th of Julyish. All the food one associates with the day. I want a couple of deviled eggs, please. And your Rahr beer is perfect for T this week. Thanks for sharing.

ukmaryanne said…
Happy hosting-knitting WOYWW!
That tool looks handy but does not ship to the UK. Will have to check other sources. Love the cover, very festive for the 4th. The Frida card is great too, but now I am singing that song in my head, "Oh I wish I were an..." You know the one! :D
Mary Anne (7)
Lynnecrafts said…
You’ve achieved a lot this week. I love the Japanese card with its excellent proverb and impressive katakana detail. Glad you enjoyed the 250th anniversary
Happy WOYWW
Lynnecrafts 4 xx
Happy Birthday to your Mom with best wishes for many happy returns filled with joy, good health and whatever she desires.

God bless you all.
Elizabeth said…
Hello Arnoldo, you have been productive this week. I like the Chinese proverb and the sketch of Frida Kahlo together with the lovely photo of you with your mother. She's looking good on 91 years. Have another good week ahead. Elizabeth #9
Makira said…
❤️🤍💙¡Me encantó la cubierta para las notas Post-it! WOW! También me encantó el proverbio japonés. Gracias por participar con nosotros en el Colorful Options Challenge ¡Que disfrutes el resto de tu semana! -Makira ❤️🤍💙🌈🎨
Ha ha. You were lucky to see the OScar Meyer Mobile. I saw one once a long time ago. They are always fun. And it looks like you had a super July 4th. Happy 91 to your Mom too. She looks fantastic. and your art is amazing. I had to go check out that tool...and your quote is fantastic too. I often write down good quotes and I will be writing this one down. I hope you had a super T day and have a great week.
Barb Finnical said…
Reverend Arnoldo, your artistic abilities, and creativity continue to astound me! I love all the different mediums that you use in your posts. Today I am most fascinated by you writing your name in Japanese. I also loved seeing the picture of you and your mother. How very precious is that!? And of course your patriotic Post-it note holder is absolutely stunning! I will have to keep those dies in mind. They would be perfect for small Christmas presents. Thanks so much for playing along with us at Word Art Wednesday. We appreciate your participation!
BJ said…
Love the USA journal cover and just realised what's on the back - doh! Knew it was Tim Holtz inspired did I mention I got to see him back in 2012? You might have noticed my signed apron on my chair back. He was amazing. Great portrait drawing and lovely to see yet another native bird from down your way. Thank you for your prayers, much appreciated, as things have got rather difficult here. Hugs Bj#8
CJ Kennedy said…
My favorite of the icad is the origami face. very clever. Hot dogs and beans all you needed to make it New England Saturday night supper is brown bread (with raisins, my preference). Happy Birthday to your mother. I never would have guessed she's 91. Happy T Day
bockel24 said…
Wow, I love that you created a handdrawn Frida card, thank you so much! And thanks for introducing me to that wonderful bird I´ve never seen before ...
Iris Flavia said…
I love your quote - and Frida, of course. It must be great to be proud of your country - I sure cannot join in.
My parents were kids, half my family not German, my paternal Grandfather hid Jewish people and yet I got accused of the Holocaust. We live in a weird world. So... great to see you are proud of your country!
Great art, too! A Bookbinding Tool... wow.
sirkkis said…
You painted a nice happy looking Frida 👍🏼
Vicki Dutcher said…
You captured Frida's spirit wonderfully! Happy bday to your mom. Thanks for joining in at AAA Birthday
Darnell said…
First I have to say that your mom looks like she is 61, not 91! Good genes and may she have many more happy birthdays! Love the creations and the photos and you have me drooling at "peach cobbler!" Thank you for inspiring everyone to use their NBUS! Hugs, Darnell
DVArtist said…
Your days are always so full. The art is lovely. I do like the book binding tool. Your mom is gorgeous. I can see the resemblance. A nice meal with Texas light. Sounds good to me. Have a nice day.
Deann said…
Your USA book is a treasure. You are so talented and very busy I can tell. Have a wonderful Summer my friend.
Debbie Mageed said…
Oh, I love your creativity! It has such interesting details and is so original. Thank you for participating in the Creative Creases Challenge! We hope you can join us again soon. Your support is greatly appreciated!
Debbie, DT
Secrets To Stamping
Sarah Brennan said…
That notebook cover is spectacular Arnoldo - perfect for the 250th anniversary. Glad you had such a good 4th July. Stay safe and Happy WOYWW. Sarah
Tom said…
...I'm sorry that I miss Frida Kahlo birthday, I should mark my calendar. We had the opportunity to see the Wienermobile, what fun. Stay cool and well. Peace!
Carola Bartz said…
Very lovely cards again, Arnoldo. You seem to have had a lovely 4th of July. All the neighbors here come together in the street for a block party bbq and we always have a good time together (I have wonderful neighbors). My favorite today is the Frida Kahlo card. Your mom looks great! How lovely that you could celebrate her 91st birthday. And of course I like the Great Kiskadee - I wouldn't mind him hanging out in my garden :) Have a wonderful weekend!
DVArtist said…
Thank you for sharing this post. I especially like the Chinese proverb.
Fundy Blue said…
What a beautiful and love-filled photo of you and your mother, Arnaldo. How lucky you are to still have her with you! Enjoy every moment you get together. I love your portrait of Frida Kahlo. You did capture her spirit! I didn't learn about Frida until a very talented waitress in my favorite Mexican restaurant reproduced one of Frida's self portraits perfectly and hung in the restaurant a couple of years ago. As luck would have it, I asked her about it, because the painting was fascinating. Sadly now, my artistic waitress friend has moved to Texas. Her husband was transferred in his oil patch job, but she left Frida's portrait with the restaurant. I have never seen a Great Kiskadee ~ beautiful bird. Enjoy your weekend!
EricaSta said…
Happy, happy Birthday to your Mom too 🎂 Wonderful ❤️
Greetings by Heidrun
Jane said…
Awesome work, how talented you are! Thanks for playing at AAA Birthday, hope to see you join in with future challenges too. Stay safe and keep crafting!
What a beautiful creation to celebrate America! Thank you for joining us at Creative Creases. We hope to see you more often as you are unique!
Karen, DT
Gene Black said…
I love the Frida piece and the quote. We all need wings to fly.
ScrappyHorses said…
I so delight in visiting your blog and enjoy all the positivity you spread through your creativity! The Japanese Proverb is a great reminder to me in difficult times to breathe, think, smile, and then speak! Wonderful origami figure. Thanks for sharing your pics and art at Path of Positivity. Katrina
eileeninmd said…
Hello Arnoldo,
Your art and cards are beautifully done! Happy Birthday to your Mom! The celebration and dinner sounds nice. The Great Kiskadee is a beautiful bird! Great photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend!
Maria Medeiros said…
Happy July! Oh your cards are lovely! Truly wonderful Arnoldo. Have a wonderful weekend!
Happy birthday to your mom...oh my! She looks YOUNG and very beautiful! I love the quote...one who smiles is stronger. I smile a lot and feel so very blessed in this life! Hugs, Diane
I do like that Japanese proverb.
Happy birthday to your mom.

All the best Jan
Deanne Saunders said…
Awesome creations!!! All of them!! Thanks so much for participating in our PINSPIRATIONAL challenge!!! I appreciate that you play along and I enjoy visiting your blog!! Have a happy crafty day!! Deanne at A Little Bit O’ Paper
Luiz Gomes said…
Boa tarde meu querido amigo Reverendo Arnold. Obrigado pela visita e comentário. Infelizmente, sabemos que muitos povos originários das Américas e africanos, foram massacrados, literalmente na mão de povos europeus. Uma excelente tarde de domingo, bom início de semana, um grande abraço do seu irmão em Cristo Jesus, Evangelista João Luiz.
That's a great-looking journal, Arnoldo, and I also liked you ICAD. But, my favorite photo was the one of you and your mom as you both look so happy. Best wishes to her for a great 🎂 year of celebration.
I really like the note card you created, and the use of pastels on the postcard challenge is wonderful! I recognised Frida.
Diane said…
What a fabulous blog post, the best one I've seen today and believe me with 11 challenge blogs, I've seen a lot lol, but having the picture of you and your mom (and of course the yummy food) made my day. My Mom has been gone 7 years now and I sure do miss her, the last words I heard her spoke before she passed was "I am home now', that gives ya goose bumps doesn't it? Anyhow your journal is fabulous, have a wonderful week!
Thank you for joining our challenge at The Neglected Stuff!
Diane
{Nellies Nest}
The Neglected Stuff Co-Owner
EricaSta said…
You, dear Blogfriend, and your Mom on the photo is such a nice moment.
Thank you very much for sharing at MosaicMonday

Greetings by Heidrun
Diane, your Mom is home rejoicing in the arms of our creator, and looking over you as part of the Great Cloud of Witnesses.
Iris, your Grandfather was a good man and a hero to those Jews he helped. People are so insensitive when they make generalizations. We have people in the USA that are acting like fascists, but there are also people like me that believe that our cultural differences enrich our country. For this reason, I am not loosing hope, and continue to pray for unity in our nation. Shalom!
BJ, I have never met Tim Holtz, but love his work. I used to participate in the tag challenges he used to host. I even won one of them, and was awarded one of his aprons and stamp sets!
Bunny said…
I couldn't remember what you made because when I saw the picture of the Oscar Mayer wiener mobile I got lost in pop culture. Oh, I can still sing that song from the 60's when I was a kid Thanks for the memories and I'm sure whatever you made was lovely. [Bunny]
Always something interesting to see in your posts, Arnoldo! Thanks for taking part in the "My Sunday Best Meme"
KathyA. said…
So many wonderful creations on one post! But I'm here to comment on your entry into the Path of Positivity Challenge. Do I count 6 embellishments on your wonderful Index card? I especially like the Origami figure (I love origami!) Thanks so much for entering it into the Path of Positivity (POP) Challenge. We hope to see you back again soon! Kathy

Popular Posts