Cathedral House Gallery Art Show

I was selected to participate in an upcoming art show to benefit the World Mission program of the Episcopal Diocese of West Texas.  The piece that first attracted the panel, was my icon of Abraham, because it fit their theme of "Take Nothing for the Journey."  In the words of Ms. Marjorie George, the coordinator, "I can’t think of any biblical character who more embodies setting out a journey and taking nothing with him than Abraham."  She asked me to write a piece about what this meant to me as the artist.  The following is my response:

Take Nothing For The Journey
Father Abraham
© Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA 2011
By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.  By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country...  And by faith even Sarah, who was past childbearing age, was enabled to bear children because she considered him faithful who had made the promise.  And so from this one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore.

The seed that led me to write an icon of Father Abraham was planted in me in 2009, when my wife and I were involved in a couples’  bible study group.  Although we had two military men in the group, and none of the rest of us male members consider ourselves metro-sexual, we used Beth Moore’s The Patriarchs – Encountering the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, which is geared towards women’s groups.  Other than many of the touchy-feely questions, we were all thoroughly involved.

During the group study, I learned that God chose Abraham, a descendant of Noah, to be the forefather to Judaism, Christianity, and some may even say, Muslimism.  Abraham, who was a childless 75-year-old man, took the ultimate leap of faith and followed a God of whom he didn’t know much.  As a matter of fact, Abraham and his family were involved in the worship of false Gods (Joshua 24:2).  In addition, Abraham was flawed in many other ways.  He was fearful.  He offered his beautiful wife Sarai sexually to other men. He lied about his relationship to his wife, and even committed adultery, as can be seen through the telling of his story in Genesis.

Why would such an imperfect man inspire me?  Well, just like Abraham, I am a sinner and have taken many leaps of faith through out my life.  I knew through my parents teachings, that “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13).  Therefore, when I was 17 years old, I took my first leap of faith.  I left my home in Mexico and went to All Saints Episcopal School, in Vicksburg, Mississippi.  I matured tremendously, and met many people with whom I still keep in touch.  Another major leap of faith was when I was asked to be the Head of St. James Episcopal School, in Del Rio.  At the time, I was married, had two young girls, and had a top administrative job in a school district in the DFW area.  However, my wife and I felt God calling us, so I uprooted my family and moved to Del Rio.  I worked for 7 glorious years at St. James, and am still a member of the church, through which I’ve been involved in missionary work in the Diocese of Southwest Mexico, have been involved in several Faith Alive teams, am a member of the Order of St. Luke, and now have been involved in the art community of the Diocese for 5 years.

For this reason, I wrote the icon of Father Abraham, a perfect role model of what it is to “take nothing for the journey,” and follow His call.

"Take Nothing for the Journey"
Cathedral House Gallery at the Bishop Jones Center
111 Torcido Drive
San Antonio, Tx 78209
(210 or 888) 824-5387


Wine and Cheese Reception
Friday, November 18, 2011
6:00 to 8:00 p.m.

It will remain open to the public Monday-Friday
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Through December 30, 2011

Comments

Adri Munhoz said…
Wonderful post! Thanks for sharing. I wish you success next Friday.
Thank you, Adri. I'm very excited about the show, but I'm also very nervous. God willing everything will go well.